Alumni Advisory Group
The mission of the Alumni Advisory Group, established at the invitation of the College President, is to support the mission, values, and philosophy of Hampshire College by building alumni engagement, supporting the College in attaining its fundraising goals, and through its members acting as ambassadors for the College today. The AAG works to establish, maintain, and build mutually beneficial and lifelong connections among alums, and in so doing, strengthens alumni leadership as a College resource.
There will be between 12 and 16 members of the AAG, representing the alumni body in terms of geography, decade of attendance, and diversity. Each member will participate in a majority of the responsibilities listed below, as well as complete a yearly self-evaluation. The self-evaluation will be shared with the chair. The nominating committee will review self-evaluations as part of the term renewal process.
Terms will be three years, with a chance for one renewal; after two terms of consecutive service, members will take a break of one year before applying to rejoin the AAG.
Subcommittees will be established for specific areas and/or projects as identified by the Alumni Advisory Group in partnership with alumni relations.
- Participate in a majority of AAG meetings*
- Serve on at least one subcommittee*
- Make an annual gift to the Hampshire Fund*
- Attend at least two on-campus events over the three-year term*
- Promote Hampshire in your social and professional circles*
- Help organize and recruit attendees for your reunion
- Keep up to date with Hampshire news
- Be an active participant in all AFR and college questionnaires and communications (website, NSS, etc.)
- Recruit at least five alums (non AAG members) per year to update their information and to write class notes
- Volunteer for Hampshire programs such as CORC, Hampshire Fund, HAAP
- Attend a majority of Hampshire events in your geographical area
- Participate in the various social media Hampshire uses
- Make Hampshire College prominent on your own CV/Resume
*Denotes mandatory responsibilities.
Alumni Advisory Group Eligibility
Alumni Advisory Group members must be Hampshire graduates or “alums of record” (those who attended for at least two full years).
Candidates for the alumni advisory group should:
- commit to a three-year term
- demonstrate a strong affinity with Hampshire College
- articulate the effect Hampshire has had on their lives
- show a history of continuous connection to the College
- have experience of leadership at Hampshire and/or in the context of another community
Alumni Advisory Group Goals
- Be an "ambassador" for Hampshire College
- Advise and assist alumni and family relations on events in your geographic area and affinity groups (professional or identity based)
- Fly the Hampshire flag: Make sure Hampshire is prominent on your bio, resume, etc.
- Represent your constituency by acting as a two-way conduit for feedback and information
- Assist the advancement team with fundraising
- Encourage other alums to volunteer for the College
Other Ways to be Involved:
- Stay up-to-date about Hampshire by reading communications from the College
- Use and update the online alumni directory
- Make sure the College knows your news
- Encourage others to update the College with their news
- Support official College social media, e.g., follow Hampshire on Twitter or "like" Hampshire College on Facebook
- Spread College news on your own social media sites
- Attend and help with events in your area
- Organize an event in your area (community service, networking, admissions, or fundraising)
- Volunteer for campus programs (Hampshire Admissions Associates Program, Career Options Resource Center, Hampshire Fund, etc.)