Depending on your visa status, certain eligibility requirements, timelines, and options apply. Please be sure to read the information thoroughly and contact the office of multicultural and international student services with any questions.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
You need a Social Security number in order to get paid for employment. You cannot start employment until you have a Social Security number (or a receipt of application). In order for students to receive paid employment, they are required by law to obtain a Social Security number. F-1 students must secure a job before they can apply for a Social Security number. J-1 students do not need to have a job secured, but must receive work authorization from the global education office first.
STEPS for Applying for an SSN: Note: F-1 students are only eligible to apply for an SSN card once a job offer is secured.
Once you have a job:
1. Ask your supervisor to print the “Employer Letter” (MUST BE PRINTED ON HAMPSHIRE LETTERHEAD) from the MISS website and complete/sign the top portion. Then bring the employment letter to the MISS office so O.C. can complete/sign the bottom portion. Form can be found here: http://www.hampshire.edu/culturalcenter/2237.htm
2. Gather the following documents (BOTH originals AND photocopies of each document):
3. Take your documents (originals and copies) to the University of Massachusetts during the next session (the date and time of the next session will be posted online). The University of Massachusetts will have the Social Security office on their campus to take applications. Make sure you ask the SSA officer at the University of Massachusetts session to sign and date the SSN Application Receipt.
Important: DO NOT FORGET. You MUST ask the SSA officer to sign your SSN Application Receipt for your application.
4. Submit your SSN Application Receipt to the student employment office, located on the first floor of Blair Hall. This will allow you to get paid while you wait for your Social Security card to arrive in the mail.
5. Wait to receive your SSN card in the mail. Immediately upon receipt present the SSN to Janel Johnson for her to photocopy.
6. Once your card is received by Hampshire's human resources office, you will be contacted to pick it up.
Questions? Ask your international student advisor, O.C. Gorman, by email at rgSA@hampshire.edu, by phone 413.559.5779, or visit her at the CC, 2nd Floor, room 202.
Where to Apply?
There are two ways to apply:
1. The University of Massachusetts will have the Social Security office on their campus to take applications:
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Location: Newman Center, (across the street from Hills South) at the University of Massachusetts
Directions to the University of Massachusetts: http://www.umass.edu/visitorsctr/Campus_Map/
By PVTA bus: Please click here for directions using public transport or use the PVTA wesite for more information, http://pvta.com/
By car: Driving directions here.
Note: We highly recommend that you attend one of these sessions, since it is early in the school year and may be the least “waiting in line time.”
2. Apply on your own at the Holyoke Social Security Administration (SSA) office:
Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., or Wednesday, 9 a.m.-Noon
Address: 200 High Street
Holyoke, MA 01040
Note: Wait times vary and can sometimes take up to two hours.
© 2014 Hampshire College 893 West Street Amherst, MA 01002 . 413.549.4600