The Critical Studies of Childhood, Youth, and Learning (CYL) program is an interdisciplinary academic program connecting students, faculty, staff, and the larger community. CYL promotes critical thinking about how children and youth grow, change, create, and learn in the context of larger social structures and cultural practices.
• Integrate practice with existing theory and research through community-based projects
• Critically examine theories and practices concerning young people in relation to questions of power
• Implement innovative methodologies and creative critical pedagogy for young people’s participation
• Reflect on one's practice as an educators and learners
• Participate in "A Day At Hampshire College," and other events that bring young people and Hampshire students together on campus
• Conduct basic and applied research in childhood studies
The CYL Program offers students the chance to take what they learn in the classroom and apply it to real-life situations in local community schools and organizations, enriching their educational experience and deepening their learning about childhood and youth issues.
Find out more about Childhood, Youth & Learning events going on on campus and in the community.
© 2013 Hampshire College 893 West Street Amherst, MA 01002 . 413.549.4600