header image

Recycling in Offices and Public Areas


In each office, there is a deskside bin for trash and a deskside recycling bin for mixed paper. 

As needed (at least once per week) the custodian in your building will empty each of those deskside bins.

If you have corrugated cardboard boxes to be recycled, please place them next to your recycling bin with a “please recycle” note on the boxes.

If your office has confidential documents that need to be shredded, the College has an arrangement with a mobile shredding service. Please contact Purchasing at x5405 for more details.

Recycling bins for bottles and cans are located in public areas throughout the campus, as well as areas of high generation in each building (e.g. break rooms, kitchenettes, etc.).

What can I recycle in each bin?

Bottles and Cans:


  • Aluminum cans
  • Tin/Steel cans
  • Glass bottles (all colors)
  • Plastic bottles (all numbers)
  • Plastic yogurt tubs
  • Milk cartons and juice boxes


  • NO plastic cups
  • NO plastic clamshells
  • NO plastic bags
  • NO lids or bottle caps
  • NO styrofoam
Mixed Paper:


  • Newspapers
  • Magazines and catalogs
  • Posters, glossy paper, junk mail
  • Notebook paper
  • Photocopies
  • Computer paper


  • NO tissues
  • NO paper towels
  • NO pizza boxes
  • NO candy wrappers
  • NO cigarette boxes
  • NO paper cups or plates
  • NO plastic bags
Corrugated Cardboard:

Corrugated cardboard is the card board that has
the wavy layer in the middle.



  • NO pizza boxes
  • NO cereal boxes
Print PDF version

Academic Buildings and Public Areas

Bins for trash, paper, and bottles and cans are located in public areas throughout the academic and administrative buildings, including:

  • additional paper bins in areas of high paper generation such as the mailroom, the library, public copiers, and printers in computer labs;
  • additional bottle and can bins in areas such as the airport lounge and bridge café.

© 2014 Hampshire College 893 West Street Amherst, MA 01002 . 413.549.4600