Members of the Hampshire College Board of Trustees are bound by a code of conduct as part of their service to the College, and sign it annually as evidence of their willingness to comply with its provisions. Many of Hampshire’s trustee committees have non-trustee members who enhance and extend the effectiveness of these committees. The trustees wish to ensure that these members are not only aware of the expectations regarding their work on these committees, but that they be similarly bound. Accordingly, as a condition for participation, the trustees ask each non-trustee member of a Board committee—including both standing and ad hoc committees—to provide a signed copy of this document to the secretary of the College.
Any non-trustee member of a committee of the Hampshire College Board of Trustees shall:
1. Become familiar with and committed to the responsibilities of the committee on which one is serving, and adhere to the principles of fairness, honesty, and utmost good faith in all committee business and interactions.
2. Devote time to learning how the institution functions—its uniqueness, strengths, and needs – particularly with regard to the mandate of the committee on which one is serving.
3. Carefully prepare for, regularly attend, and actively participate in committee meetings and assignments.
4. Facilitate appropriate communication between the committee and the campus, and at the same time maintain the confidential nature of committee work and avoid acting as a spokesperson for the entire committee unless specifically authorized by the committee chair to do so.
5. Make judgments always on the basis of what is best for the institution and for the advancement of higher education as a whole, vote according to one’s individual convictions, and challenge the judgment of others when necessary; yet be willing to support the majority decision of the committee and work with fellow members in a spirit of cooperation.
6. Refrain from actions that might compromise the College’s reputation or standing in the higher education community.
7. Execute the conflict of interest policies and disclosure forms promulgated by the board.
My signature below certifies my understanding of and commitment to this code of conduct. I further understand that any violation of this code, as determined by the chair of the committee on which I serve and the chair of the board of trustees, may be grounds for remedial action, up to and including my removal from committee membership.
Rev. February 2010
© 2014 Hampshire College 893 West Street Amherst, MA 01002 . 413.549.4600