Jump to navigation
You are here:
Hampshire College endorses the code of the National Association of Educational Buyers (NAEB).
When obtaining goods and services for the College, staff should understand and follow this code. It is a guide to behavior that will help us maintain high standards of courtesy, integrity, and honesty.
1. Give first consideration to the objectives and policies of my institution.
2. Strive to obtain the maximum value for each dollar of expenditure.
3. Decline personal gifts or gratuities.
4. Grant all competitive suppliers equal consideration insofar as state or federal statute and institutional policy permit.
5. Conduct business with potential and current suppliers in an atmosphere of good faith, devoid of intentional misrepresentation.
6. Demand honesty in sales representation whether offered through the medium of a verbal or written statement, an advertisement, or a sample of the product.
7. Receive consent of originator of proprietary ideas and designs before using them for competitive purchasing purposes.
8. Make every reasonable effort to negotiate an equitable and mutually agreeable settlement of any controversy with a supplier; and/or be willing to submit any major controversies to arbitration or other third party review, insofar as the established policies of my institution permit.
9. Accord a prompt and courteous reception insofar as conditions permit to all who call on legitimate business missions.
10. Cooperate with trade, industrial, and professional associations and with governmental and private agencies for the purposes of promoting and developing sound business methods.
11. Foster fair, ethical, and legal trade practices.
12. Counsel and cooperate with NAEB members and promote a spirit of unity and a keen interest in professional growth among them.
To maintain these standards, the purchasing office asks staff to subscribe to the following principles. It is essential that any person conducting business with a vendor on behalf of the College observe the ethical standards described below.
1. Give first consideration to the mission and policies of Hampshire College.
2. Recognize that value represents the alignment of price, service, and quality that assures the greatest ultimate cost savings to the College: that is, the lowest-priced item or service does not always yield the best end result.
3. After giving value full consideration, then strive to obtain the maximum value for each dollar.
4. Demand honesty in sales representation, regardless of whether the representation was made via an oral or written statement, an advertisement, or a sample of the product.
Next section: Policies