Campus Tours and Information Sessions are Now Open

Hampshire stickers on window

Reporting Sexual Violence: Know Your Options

Hampshire College encourages survivors of sexual violence to talk to professional staff about what happened, so they can get the support they need and so the College can respond appropriately.

Hampshire staff have differing abilities to maintain a survivor’s confidentiality. Below is a list of campus resources and the confidential disclosure options they provide, so survivors of sexual violence can make informed choices about whom to consult.

Filing a Formal Complaint

If a survivor would like to speak to someone about filing a formal complaint, interim safety measures, or alternate/informal resolutions, that person may talk with someone from the Title IX team. Title IX team members can also help survivors identify and navigate other on- and off-campus supports, including the legal system.

Conversations with the Title IX team members are private; they are not confidential. Private resources share information only with those they are required to by law or job function.

  • Zauyah Waite, Title IX coordinator, VP of student affairs and dean of students, Merrill Student Life Center, 2nd floor, 413.559.5412,
    Greg Narleski, deputy Title IX coordinator, director of student affairs, Merrill Student Life Center, 2nd floor, 413.559.6205,
  • Jake Toomey, deputy Title IX coordinator, director of human resources, Blair Hall, Box HR, 413.559.5411,
  • Amanda Surgen, deputy Title IX coordinator, assistant director of outdoor programs, recreation, and athletics, Robert Crown Center, Box OP, 413.559.5754,

Responsible Reporters

Responsible Reporters: Some employees are required to report all the details of an incident (including the identities of the survivor and alleged perpetrator) to a Title IX team member. A report to these employees (called “responsible employees”) constitutes a report to the College and generally obligates the College to investigate the incident and take appropriate steps to address the situation. These responsible reporters will report the information you share with them to a member of the Title IX team, who will follow up with the survivor to determine next steps. Responsible employees include:

  • All Hampshire College staff and faculty (other than those designated on the next page)
  • Hampshire College student staff: residential assistants, teaching assistants, and emergency medical technicians

Nonprofessional Counseling and Advocacy

Other employees may talk to a survivor in confidence, and report to the College only that an incident occurred, without revealing any personally identifying information. Disclosure to these employees with not initiate a College investigation.

These private on-campus resources will not take action with the College on information that you report but must report an incident anonymously to comply with the federal Clery Act

Privileged and Confidential

Some employees are required to maintain near-complete confidentiality; talking to them is sometimes called a "privileged communication."

These confidential on- and off-campus resources resources will not take action with the College on the information you report.

Privileged and Confidential Counseling

Confidential Medical Resources

Additional Campus Resources

Emergency Assistance

If you are experiencing an emergency on campus and need immediate medical assistance, call campus safety and security at 413.559.5555 or x1911 from a campus phone. Campus safety and security will also provide transportation to an off-campus resource for exams.

You, Too, Are a Campus Resource

Hampshire encourages all students to be active community members and take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent or stop an act of sexual misconduct. Here are some steps you can take to intervene:

  • Call campus safety and security, 413.559.5555, if you are concerned for someone’s safety.
  • If you hear someone acting or speaking in a manner that is offensive, demeaning, or abusive to a targeted person or group of people, let them know it makes you uncomfortable and ask them to stop.
  • If you are aware that sexual misconduct has taken place, you may report the offense yourself and/or encourage the victim/survivor to report the offense and seek support.

For more details and a full copy of Hampshire’s Sexual Misconduct, Relationship Violence, and Stalking Policy, click here.

Stay In Touch
With Community Advocacy
Snail Mail
Community Advocacy
Mail Code SA
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002