When Should I Go?
Carefully and honestly examine your reasons for attending, and your decisions about timing.
- How motivated and committed are you?
- Does it make sense to go now, or work for a while first?
- Graduate school will take a lot of time, energy, and money. To be successful, you need to really want to do it.
- If you’re not certain, it’s fine to wait before you apply.
- Many people attend after taking time to do other things, and their focus gets clearer.
Working between undergraduate and grad school can be extremely valuable if you’re not clear about your focus.
- Working in your field of interest can help you identify possible areas of specialization.
- Do you have a realistic view of the field and jobs available with the advanced degree?
- Are the typical work environments and type of work a good match for you?
- Lastly, working before an advanced degree may help make you a more competitive candidate for some graduate programs.
Continue to When Should I Apply?
Return to main Graduate School page