Dear Internship Supervisor,
Thank you for providing an internship for a Hampshire student this summer. The following guidelines will help you have a successful and fulfilling experience. We are here to support you through the internship process. If you have any questions or concerns, or if you encounter a challenging situation with your intern, please contact us right away.
We are looking forward to working with you!
Sharón Friedner, Assistant Director, Career Options Resource Center
Supervising a Hampshire Intern
Please read below to see how these forms fit into the internship experience.
Before the Internship
- Contact your intern to clarify start date, hours, and compensation (if applicable).
- Check your calendar to make sure you will be available to meet and welcome your interns on their first day.
- Think about what you would like your intern to do this summer and make a list of tasks/projects. Inform co-workers about the intern's duties so they can help supervise the intern, if appropriate.
- Determine the intern's work space and coordinate space/equipment with co-workers.
At the Beginning
- Introduce the interns to co-workers and show them the space in which they will work.
- Explain office procedures and/or traditions.
- Give your intern a project to start on right away. Interns want to be busy and feel needed. This also helps to ease the awkwardness of the first few days.
During the course of the Internship
- Communicate! If there is something the interns should be doing differently, please let them know. Your constructive criticism as well as your positive feedback helps your intern learn.
- If your intern is telecommuting, try to check in with them via phone at least once a week.
- Schedule a time, usually half way through the internship, to do a mid-internship check-in. Use the Mid-Internship Check-In form to tell the interns what they are doing well, as well as how they can improve. This is also the time to set goals for the remainder of the summer.
- Be on the lookout for learning experiences for your interns, and try to get them involved as much as possible.
- Feel free to call us if you have any questions or need support dealing with an unusual intern situation. We are here to help!
After the Internship
- Please write an evaluation for your interns, ideally before they return to Hampshire.
- Give us your feedback! We want to know how this program is working for you, and if there is anything we can do to improve. Please fill out the Internship Provider Feedback form.
Evaluating your Intern
In order to complete the internship experience, please write a final evaluation for your intern. This will give them valuable information about their performance as well as allow them to include the internship on their transcript. Please print your evaluation on company letterhead if available, and make sure to include the following information:
- Dates of the internship
- Approximate number of hours worked per week
- Duties of the intern
- Your comments about his or her performance
- Your signature
Interns must receive a signed, hard copy of the evaluation. Central Records will not accept email copies.
Again, thank you so much for providing this learning opportunity. We are looking forward to working with you again next year!