Office Fire Safety
- Keep exit paths clear and unobstructed.
- Do not block fire extinguishers or alarm pull stations.
- Do not prop open fire or smoke doors.
- Do not store anything in stairwells (includes under the stairs).
- Do not put furniture or stack materials within 18" of sprinkler heads or block smoke/heat detectors.
- No smoking, candles, or other open flames.
- Toasters, toaster ovens, hot plates, and other cooking devices with open heating elements (you can see the heating coil) are only allowed in kitchenettes or lounges.
- Small microwaves and hot pots are allowed in offices.
- Never leave cooking devices unattended when in use.
- Do not overload electrical outlets. Do not use multi-plug sockets (converting a single wall socket to multiple sockets).
- Use power strips with surge protectors. Do not plug a second power strip into an existing power strip.
- Avoid use of extension cords as a permanent solution. Use only UL rated extension cords suitable for the equipment. Do not run extension cords under carpet or in hidden areas. If a cord or plug gets hot, remove it immediately; it is faulty or not the right size.
- Use of space heaters must be approved by facilities and grounds. Do not use an extension cord. Unplug ithe space heater when you are not in the office and keep it 3 feet away from any combustible materials.
If you have questions or concerns, contact environmental health and safety (413.559.6620) or facilities and grounds (413.559.5431).
Print Version (pdf)