GEO See(n) Photo Contest
Thank you to all students who submitted over 80 photos to the 2018 GEO See(n) Photo Contest! The finalist photographers and the sites of their study abroad experiences are listed below. Thank you for inspiring Hampshire to see as you have see(n).
- Aaron Pillay 17S | Hampshire Faculty-led Short-term Field Course | LIASE Grant, Designing for Life:Agriculture, Ecology, and Design in Northern Thailand | Chiang Mai and Nan Province, Thailand | January 2018
- Abby Moore 16F | Self-Designed Field Study | Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research/Bioinformatics Data Integration | Denmark | Fall 2018
- Andrew Sapini 17F | Hampshire Faculty-led Short-term Field Course | The Heart of Europe: Tradition and Revolution, Trauma and Memory | The Czech Republic and Poland | Summer 2018
- Carlos Sevilla 16F | Hampshire Exchange | University of Edinburgh | Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom | Fall 2018
- Estelle Zhang 16F | Course-based Field Study | CET Academic Programs: Intensive Arabic | Jordan | Fall 2018 and Spring 2019
- Georgene (Arabella) Magruder 17F | CAMES Arabic Immersion Program at The American University of Beirut in Lebanon | Summer 2018
- Lara Jolicoeur 15F | Course-based Field Study | Yunnan Minzu University | Chifeng, Mongolia, China | Spring 2018
- Matt Hinderhofer 17F | Hampshire Faculty-led Short-term Field Course | Living on the Edge: Microbes in Extreme Environments | California | Summer 2018
- Quinn Thomashow 16F | Course-based Field Study | CISabroad: Edinburgh Napier University | Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom | Fall 2018
- Rhyanna McLeester 17F | Hampshire Faculty-led Short-term Field Course | The Heart of Europe: Tradition and Revolution, Trauma and Memory | The Czech Republic and Poland | Summer 2018
- Samara Rosen 14F | Hampshire Exchange | Consortium for Innovative Environments in Learning (CIEL), Prescott College | Arizona | Fall 2018
2018 GEO See(n) Photo Contest Criteria
Enter the 2018 GEO See(n) Photo Contest! We want to see your most inspirational photos from your time studying off-campus or abroad. Photos should reflect what it means to study abroad and should inspire future students to engage in off-campus study.
Hampshire students may submit up to three (3) of their most inspirational photographs from their time studying off-campus domestically or abroad during 2018, which includes the following periods:
- January 2018, Spring 2018, May/Summer 2018, and Fall 2018
Submission deadline: Tuesday, November 27, 2018
Submissions and Permissions
Students are encouraged to consider the following categories when selecting their submissions:
- Travel portraits/Faces/People
- Nature/Environment/Natural World (landscapes, wildlife, etc.)
- Sense of Place (captures the essence of a place)
- Sense of Self and Community (a transformative moment of learning, discovery, and immersion)
Each entry should be sent to email@example.com as a JPEG attachment (it is recommended that photos are at least 2000 pixels on the longest edge/300 dpi resolution). In the body of your email, please include the following:
- Entry year
- Term abroad/off-campus
- Name of program/institution/self-designed project
- A few sentences describing the photo or photos (What is the photo of? Where was the photo taken? What was happening when you snapped the photo? What significance does the photo hold for you? Why did you select this photo?)
Email your entry
Please note that by submitting an entry, you are effectively agreeing that the entry is your own original photograph, taken while studying off-campus or abroad during 2018. You are also granting GEO non-exclusive rights to reproduce your image for GEO-related promotional purposes in print and web materials. Photographs clearly depicting individuals must have been taken with the subjects' permission or "informed consent" to reproduce the subjects' image.
Selection and Exhibition
The selection committee will choose ten finalist photographs. Finalists will be notified in January. The ten selected photographs will then be posted on Instagram (#hampabroad) where the entire Hampshire community will then have the opportunity view them and vote for one "Community Choice" winner. All finalist photographs will be displayed in an exhibit on campus during the spring semester (exact location TBD). All finalists will receive a matted 8x10 print of their photographs after they have been displayed. The "Community Choice" winner will receive a gift card to Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS).
We look forward to receiving your entries and sharing them with the Hampshire community!
Finalist photographs from past years: