Loans Eligible for Federal Loan Consolidation
Federal education loans eligible for consolidation include:
- Federal Direct loans
- Federal Stafford loans
- Federal Perkins loans (see note below)
- Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
- Federal Consolidation loans (see note below)
- Health Professions Student loans
- Nursing student loans
- Federal insured student loans
- Auxiliary Loans to assist students
- Federal Supplemental Loans for students (SLS)
- National Direct Student Loans (NDSL)
- Health Education Assistance Loans (HEAL)
A note about consolidating Perkins loans: A Perkins loan has a fixed low interest rate of 5 percent. Because of this fixed low interest rate and extensive cancellation provisions, it is often advisable NOT to consolidate a Perkins loan. See the Perkins loan section for the list of loan cancelations.
A note about consolidating existing federal consolidation loans: Federal consolidation loans may be re-consolidated as long as an additional eligible loan is included in the re-consolidation. The additional loan must not be in repayment to be eligible.