This page is designed to give quick access to reliable information and expert opinions about and within higher education. The first section has to do with board governance, and is an invaluable resource for governing bodies in higher education. The second section is a collection of professional associations and resources, some that lobby on behalf of higher education, and some that provide information about best practices, current trends, and hot topics in higher education. Hampshire College is a member of each of these organizations. The third section will take readers to news sites dedicated to higher education.
Board of Trustees
- Association of Governing Boards: AGB provides trustees, presidents, and board staff of public and independent colleges and universities with information about best practices, board governance, and national issues affecting colleges and universities.
Professional Associations and Resources
- American Council on Education: ACE is "the major coordinating body for all the nation's higher education institutions [and] seeks to provide leadership and a unifying voice on key higher education issues and to influence public policy through advocacy, research, and program initiatives."
- The Annapolis Group: The Annapolis Group is an "organization of the leading national independent liberal arts colleges...come together to share mutual interests and information that will strengthen their respective educational programs."
- Business-Higher Education Forum: "BHEF is an organization of Fortune 500 CEOs, prominent college and university presidents, and foundation leaders working to advance innovative solutions to our nation's education challenges in order to enhance U.S. competitiveness. BHEF brings together an extraordinary coalition of corporate, academic and foundation members to influence public policy and inspire other corporate, academic and foundation leaders to act." Hampshire College is a founding member of BHEF.
- Campus Compact: "Campus Compact is a national coalition of more than 1,100 college and university presidents, representing some 6 million students, dedicated to promoting community service, civic engagement, and service-learning in higher education." Hampshire College is a founding member of Campus Compact.
- The Council of Independent Colleges: CIC is "the major national service organization for all small and mid-sized, independent, liberal arts colleges and universities in the U.S."
- Higher Education Research Institute (HERI): "The Higher Education Research Institute (HERI) serves as an interdisciplinary center for research, evaluation, information, policy studies, and research training in postsecondary education. HERI is housed in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies (GSE&IS)at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). The Institute's research program covers a variety of topics including the outcomes of postsecondary education, leadership development, institutional transformation, faculty performance, federal and state policy, and educational equity."
- National Association of College and University Business Officers: "NACUBO serves a membership of more than 2,500 colleges, universities, and higher education service providers across the country. NACUBO represents chief administrative and financial officers through a collaboration of knowledge and professional development, advocacy, and community. Our vision: to define excellence in higher education business and financial management."
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities: "The National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU) serves as the unified national voice of independent higher education. Since 1976, the association has represented private colleges and universities on policy issues with the federal government, such as those affecting student aid, taxation, and government regulation."
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.: NEASC is "a self-regulatory membership organization, serves the public and educational community by developing and applying standards assessing the educational effectiveness of elementary, secondary, and collegiate educational institutions. Processes of self-evaluation and peer review utilizing the Association's goals assure and improve the quality of institutions, which seek its accreditation." Hampshire College receives its accreditation through NEASC.
- Project Pericles: Project Pericles is an association of colleges and universities committed to "promot[ing] and facilitat[ing] preparation for participatory citizenship as an essential part of the educational programs of colleges and universities." Hampshire College is a founding member of Project Pericles.
- Wabash National Study of Liberal Arts Education (Wabash Study): Wabash College is home to the Center of Inquiry for the Liberal Arts; one project of the center, in which Hampshire College is a participant, is the Wabash Study, "a multi-institution, long-term study of college effects. This research seeks to answer the following questions: How can we demonstrate the outcomes of liberal arts education? What particular liberal arts education conditions produce these outcomes? and, How does liberal arts education affect student development? The multi-method study will collect data that reflect the richness of some of the philosophical claims of liberal arts education in order to ground them empirically."
Higher Education in the News
- The Chronicle of Higher Education: "Online, The Chronicle is published every weekday and is the top destination for news, advice, and jobs for people in academe. The Chronicle's Web site features the complete contents of the latest issue; daily news and advice columns; thousands of current job listings; articles published since September 1989; vibrant discussion forums; and career-building tools such as online CV management, salary databases, and more." Note that some areas of the site require subscription.
- Inside Higher Education: "Inside Higher Ed is the online source for news, opinion and jobs for all of higher education."
- University Business: "University Business is a publication for presidents and other senior officers at two- and four-year colleges and universities throughout the United States. University Business is circulated to higher ed leaders who manage enrollment, technology, academic affairs and legislation. The magazine covers current and emerging trends in all areas of university and college management."