We, the members of the Hampshire College presidential search committee, believe that the search process must reflect and be conducted in accordance with Hampshire’s institutional values and aspirations. Moreover, we recognize that how this search unfolds will significantly influence Hampshire’s reputation in the world of higher education. Together we have developed these principles, under which we pledge to operate:
- All constituents, both on campus and in the broader community, will have multiple opportunities to express their beliefs about the qualities and qualifications needed in Hampshire’s next president.
- Every voice will be heard and every opinion will be recorded. All information we gather will be shared in full with the search consultants.
- We will conduct the search process in accordance with the principles of critical inquiry, intellectual rigor, mindful reflection, and seriousness of purpose.
- We will actively seek out the most diverse pool of candidates possible.
- We will treat all candidates equally, fairly, and respectfully.
- We are committed to being fully transparent in the process of conducting the search, and at the same time we will maintain absolute confidentiality about all candidates until disclosure is appropriate and individual permission has been given.
- Although we represent different constituencies (faculty, staff, students, alumni, and trustees) and will bring those perspectives to bear on our deliberations, we will work collaboratively and will keep the best interests of Hampshire College foremost.