Updates for Students & Parents

Campus sunset over the mountain

Hampshire Board Decision on Admitting a Fall 2019 Class

Our Commitment to Student Life and Academics

Information for enrolled students and their families

updated April 15, 2019

Hampshire fall 2019 at a glance

Students will continue to have advisers, courses, and learning activities in their fields of study, across disciplines.

Hampshire will continue to be a part of the Five College Consortium and students will be able to take up to three classes per semester at any of the four other colleges.

The Five College bus will continue to run to Hampshire.

Health and counseling services will continue to serve Hampshire students. If necessary, students will be able to get referrals to outside providers whom we know and trust.  

We will continue to provide students with three meal options a day on weekdays and two meals a day on weekends at designated areas across campus.

We will continue to use the same methods of calculating the family contribution and awarding financial aid.

We will continue to provide students with work study jobs, both on and off campus.

The Cultural Center and the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS) will continue to support students.

Please keep in mind:

1.  Next year, we are projected to have between 550 and 650 students on campus. The campus will be considerably smaller than it is today, but our aim remains the same: to provide students with the personalized and interdisciplinary experience that brought them to Hampshire.

2.  Because the number of students will be fewer, we will be scaling down some faculty and staff through layoffs. Those decisions are pending, as described by Ken Rosenthal in his letter yesterday. 

3.  We will be supporting students through the college’s individualized pedagogy and student life experience no matter the outcome of staffing decisions.

4.  We strongly encourage students to be actively in touch with deans to plan their course of study, so they will have the continuity they need and deserve.

FAQs April 15, 2019


When will students know whether the professors they would prefer for their Division II/III committees or classes will be at Hampshire in F2019?

As a small college, we are used to having to adapt to changes in the availability of faculty to ensure students have advisers across disciplines, both among Hampshire faculty and those of the Five Colleges. The academic deans’ goal is to confirm fall 2019 classes by the end of May, and match students with their preferred faculty as committee chairs and members to the best extent possible by early June. Regardless of these decisions, Hampshire is committed to providing students with faculty in their areas of study.

Can students ask a professor from one of the other four colleges to be their Div III chair if their preferred professor isn’t here next year?

This would have to be negotiated between the deans of faculty of Hampshire and the deans at other institutions. Students who need a faculty chair or member from one of the other four institutions should contact the Dean of Faculty or the Dean of Advising.

Next year, will the other four colleges continue to offer classes that Hampshire students are eligible to enroll in?

Yes. Hampshire students are still supported by and within the Five Colleges as they always have been. Hampshire students may continue to enroll for up to three courses at the other four colleges per semester. 

Will all current students graduate with a Hampshire degree or only those graduating in 2020?

Our goal is for all current and accepted students to graduate with a Hampshire degree.


Will the Center for Academic Support and Advising (CASA) and Central Records be open over the summer for assistance and questions?


What Health and Counseling Services will be available? Will students be able to get the same level of medical care and counseling?  

Both services will continue to operate next year. Our staff reductions this spring will account for smaller student body, but the quality of care and ratio of staff to students will remain comparable to this year.

It’s been our practice that when it meets a student's needs, our staff will make a referral to a provider outside of Hampshire College. The Health Services team has a list of providers off campus whom we know and who have served Hampshire students regularly. Some students have preferred to find an outside provider on their own. In both cases, our medical and counseling staffs give students the assistance and support they need to find outside providers.


Will tuition and room/board costs be the same next year?

Yes. Regarding room/board, please refer to our latest announcement on Housing and Dining Services. https://www.hampshire.edu/news/2019/03/29/march-29-2019-housing-and-dini...

Will my child’s financial aid be the same as in previous years?

We plan to use the same methods of calculating the family contribution and awarding financial aid that we always have. Having a smaller student body does not mean that there were will more financial aid available to Hampshire students. Families whose financial aid application contains information about incomes, assets, and members of the household that is similar to the fall 2018 and spring 2019 semesters can expect a comparable award.

What if my financial situation has changed since last year?

If your family income, assets, or members of the household information have changed, you may find that your financial aid has increased or decreased. Changes will occur if the underlying application information has caused a change to the calculated “Family Contribution.”

What if I haven’t submitted the Financial Aid documents yet?

If you have not yet done so, please complete and submit your financial aid documents. Families who complete their financial aid application by the May 1, 2019 deadline will receive their award letters by early June.

Is the Hub still the best way to get financial aid documents and emails about the status of applications?

Yes. We are continuing to use the Hub as the primary place to find the documents you need and receive communications from the Financial Aid office. More details on financial aid can be found on the updates page for current students and families at https://www.hampshire.edu/presidents-office/updates-for-students-parents

Will there be enough work study jobs for all that are eligible?

Work-study funds are federal funds. Work study jobs will be available on campus and off campus; it’s our goal for every student who is eligible to find a work study job. 

Student Life

What will dining options look like next year? Specifically, will the Dining Commons (SAGA) and/or the Bridge close?

The College will continue to provide dining options for three meals a day on weekdays and two meals a day on weekends. We will be shifting dining services from SAGA to the Bridge Café, Kern Café, and the HampStore. We’ll expand the food service capacity of these three locations to serve students, and we’ll seek to employ more food service workers directly as Hampshire employees, including likely expanding our student workforce.

With the majority of students living in mods, Student Life will also expand its dining-related programming with resources such as:

  • * Options for  bus service to grocery stores
  • * Programs on cooking skills
  • * Healthy meals and grab ’n go options, and
  • * Custom programs requested and developed by students.

In fact, students will have direct input regarding customizing dining and menu options next year. We want to hear their ideas and meet their needs, so we will provide ample opportunity for them to share their thoughts and requests.

Will Merrill and Dakin be closed next academic year?

We’ll close Dakin next year and will reserve space in Merrill, if needed. We are aiming to house the majority of students in the mods. Housing in the mods enables us to run more efficiently, ensuring a safe and vibrant community while centralizing services.  Apartment-style living is the most requested option and we’re able to guarantee this opportunity for all students. Students will still participate in the housing lottery for choosing a mod apartment. For more information visit www.hampshire.edu/housing/mod-lottery-basics

Campus Resources for Students

Questions on residence and student life, contact the Office of the Dean of Students: deanofstudents@hampshire.edu

Health and Counseling Services for medical and mental health appointments: 413.559.5458 or healthservices@hampshire.edu. Services available to all students regardless of whether or not they have Hampshire health insurance. Mental health services and support include:

  • Individual psychotherapy
  • Groups
  • 24/7 access to emotional and mental health support by licenses therapists by calling 413.559.5458, option 1.

P.E.E.R.S. (People who are Empowering Empathetic Reliable Supports)

  • Wellness Center PEERS office (2nd Floor Wellness Center, Enfield House), Sunday-Thursday, 6-8pm
  • Dakin PEERS office (Dakin House, J Basement), Sunday-Thursday, 4-6pm
  • Questions or appointments:  peerchaplains@hampshire.edu

Current students with questions about academics, contact

Email List for Parents and Families

Parents and families, if we don't have your current email address or you previously unsubscribed from Hampshire emails, please contact family@hampshire.edu and we'll add you to the list. We will update our database as quickly as possible.

Frequently Asked Questions

What's the status of financial aid next year?

There are no plans to change the current financial aid resources for returning students.

  • Students can already apply for aid for 2019-2020 using the FAFSA and CSS Profile. They should check TheHub for a list of documents specific to their situation.
  • The due date is May 1, 2019, but completing the application process earlier is always best. Students can expect their financial aid package notification for school year 2019 - 2020 by the June 15 deadline if the financial aid application and supporting documents are in order. Our standards for deciding on the actual amount of the award will not change and will be based on the student’s CSS Profile (if required) and FAFSA. Therefore, if a student’s financial picture has not changed significantly, they can expect a similar financial aid package for the coming school year.
  • Financial aid staff are available to answer your questions. Please call our main number 413.559.5484.

What’s the timeline for the 2019-2020 financial aid award year?

  • The Financial Aid Office has begun reviewing applications for the 2019-2020 award year. 
  • Families who complete their financial aid application by the May 1, 2019 deadline will receive their award letters by early June.  
  • Students will receive an email letting them know that their award is ready to be viewed on The Hub as soon as it is complete.
  • International students:
    • International students do not need to reapply for aid each year.
    • Your financial aid award will be based on percentage of the tuition that you were promised as a first year student.  However, if you do not purchase a full meal plan, then your Hampshire need based grant will be reduced by $1000 per semester, per policy.

    • Awards will be made available in early June and you'll be notified by e-mail that you may log in to the Hub to review them.

Will my financial aid change?

  • We plan to use the same methods of calculating the family contribution and awarding financial aid that we always have. We will have a modest budget for appeals should situations occur, such as severe family illness or long-term job loss.
  • Families whose financial aid application contains income, asset, and members of the household information that is similar to last year can expect an award that is similar to last year.  
  • If your family income, assets, or members of the household information have changed, you may find that your financial aid has increased or decreased. Changes will occur if the underlying application information has caused a change to the calculated “Family Contribution.” 
  • There are other longstanding policies that might affect your financial aid. As a student progresses, they become more eligible for Federal Direct Student Loans. As a first year, the maximum loan in the package is $5,500. As a second year, the maximum is $6,500. And for the third and fourth years, the maximum loan is $7,500 in each year. These increases in loan levels do not affect your grant aid assistance (Hampshire Grant). 
  • When a student moves from the dorms to the Mods (or off campus) and off the full meal plan, we will reduce your Hampshire grant by $1,000 per semester, as we have done in the past. The move off the meal plan still saves you money as you are no longer charged for the full meal plan.  
  • The $800 café card fee will remain.
  • Students who miss the May 1 deadline are assessed a late penalty, which decreases their Hampshire Grant. The penalty increases each month throughout the summer. Please submit your application on time to avoid this penalty.

What are my next steps to ensure I will receive a 2019-2020 award?

  • Complete your FAFSA and CSS Profile (if required) as soon as possible. There is no need to wait until the May 1 deadline, as you will be reporting tax information from 2017, which is already available.  
  • Review your required documents via The Hub often, even after you have submitted the FAFSA and CSS Profile. You may be selected by the Department of Education for a process called Verification. In this case, there will be additional documents required, which we’ll need to receive prior to calculating your financial aid award. If your FAFSA and Profile (if required) are submitted on time, there will be no late penalties assessed for additional information needed for the verification process. 
  • Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions regarding your required documents listed on The Hub. We can also help if you have questions while filling out the FAFSA or the CSS Profile.

What will Hampshire look like year to year?

We plan to support you on your academic path until you graduate, even though we may have less funding and fewer resources. Since a Hampshire education is so highly individualized, we’re focused on your interests and how we can support you. We’re dedicated to providing the advising, learning activities, and resources you need in your field of study and across disciplines. Every student and every student group across academics and student life needs certain resources—and we’ll be evaluating ways to provide those or identify resources. Your ability to take courses and to work with mentors throughout the Five Colleges will continue as well.

If our concentration already has limited resources, will those resources disappear?

No. If you’re here, we’ll support you, regardless of what you’re studying. We’ve always had a history of programs where we didn’t have the depth of faculty on campus, and we often find those resources within the Five Colleges.

Will there continue to be student jobs on campus?

Yes. Work-study funds are federal funds. If we have to, we can move students from working in one office and have them work in another.

Can the College make a commitment that students will have faculty on their committees?

Yes. Our preference is for students to continue to work with their advisers and to try to maintain those relationships wherever possible. Every semester we have faculty who go on sabbatical or take leave. The academic/school deans meet to review faculty committee assignments every year. We’re used to having to adapt to changes to available faculty in matching students with advisers. We also have visiting faculty.

Some faculty were already overwhelmed as advisers. Will this worsen the problem?

This is something the academic/school deans and faculty will have to work hard on, to address those kinds of questions so we can ensure students can work with their preferred faculty advisers. We feel that our faculty and staff haven’t had the resources they need. They are underpaid and receive sparse professional development funds. As we look at the long view, we want to make sure they have sufficient resources and are appropriately compensated. 

What happens to James Baldwin (JB) Scholars who are technically not matriculated until the fall?

JB Scholars who are currently here can matriculate if they have fulfilled the requirements. The JB committee will make that determination. The College will work to make sure we provide adequate supports.

Will we still have access to the Design Shop, Arts Barn, Media Studios, Farm Center, Knowledge Commons, etc.?

Those spaces are important for supporting current students and they are part of what makes Hampshire attractive and special to students. We hope to continue to support all those spaces. However, we don’t have an answer to exactly how this will play out. Spaces that are actively in use are likely to continue to be staffed and supported. Hampshire is going to change and has to change to survive, and that will impact infrastructure, staffing, services, and resources to a certain extent. No final decisions have been made yet in changes or reductions to student life or academic services. Our goal is to continue to provide staffing for students related to their student life and residence experience and their academic studies.

Will we still have student grants?

Yes. Student grants come from endowed funds that generate interest, which we use for the grant funding. Those grants will remain.

Over the next year, will students still be able to take courses and join student groups within the Five Colleges?


How will this affect PVTA bus service?

PVTA bus services will continue to be provided among the Five Colleges.

Will students still have access to meal plans?

Hampshire will continue to provide meal plans, though dining options may change.

Will students still have access to Health and Counseling Services?

Hampshire will continue to provide critical services on campus including health and counseling services, to ensure the welfare of our students. See our list of Campus Resources below.

Will residence halls close if there is no fall 2019 class? If so, which ones?

As the size of the student body declines, the College will likely consolidate students in certain residences, based on quality of living spaces and cost efficiencies.

What if I am on medical leave?

Each student's situation, as is the College's standard process, will be reviewed individually in April. Given the current uncertainty at the College, we will also need to consider a student's capacity to earn a Hampshire diploma by May 2022, along with input from the student about specific needs and expectations of campus-based resources. For more information please contact John Slepian Dean for Academic Support jsIA@hampshire.edu.

Can I still get help securing a job or internship?

The Career Options Resource Center will continue to support Hampshire students in finding jobs and internships. We will work closely with our alum network to connect students to professional mentors and opportunities.

Will there continue to be off-campus or study-abroad opportunities?

Hampshire acknowledges and understands the vital importance of off-campus study for students' academic programs, and is therefore is committed to supporting students on exchange and field study for AY 2019-2020. Given the financial uncertainty of the next academic year, availability of specific exchange programs is still being determined. Students can move forward with applying for exchange programs for fall 2019; the deadline is March 1, and the application process may be competitive. Program availability and placements on exchange for spring 2020 may also be limited. Students should consult with the Global Education Office (GEO) and their committee to discuss their best options. As always, students are advised to plan at least one year in advance for their intended time away. GEO is also committed to running GEO short-term field courses for summer 2019; however short-term field courses for January and summer 2020 are still under consideration. See deadlines, application, and program information.

Should I transfer? What do I need to know?

This is a personal decision for every student and their families. While Hampshire is committed to supporting your educational goals, we understand some students may consider transferring. As you make this decision, please communicate with an advisor and a dean in CASA, who can guide you in accessing the resources to inform your decision. We are recommending that colleges consider Hampshire classes successfully completed and evaluated at four credits.

Transferring classes to other institutions is generally seamless. The Central Records Office is here to help if other institutions have questions about your transcript. Students and parents should first refer to this webpage to find information on Hampshire transcripts, in particular the "transcript explanation and key" that accompanies all the transcripts we send out. This key includes a summary of our academic program and our credit recommendation.

International Students

What is accreditation and why is it important?

Accreditation is the system that establishes and assesses educational standards and that enables institutions such as Hampshire to operate as a college. Hampshire is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (formerly known as NEASC, the New England Association of Schools and Colleges). Hampshire is focused on maintaining its accreditation enabling it to continue to operate as an accredited institution of higher education.

What is the office of Multicultural and International Student Services (MISS), and will its services always be available throughout this transition?

Multicultural and International Student Services (MISS) is the office at Hampshire that provides visa and immigration support and general programming to our international students. As long as we have international students on campus, Hampshire is committed to providing the necessary visa and related programming services that are necessary for students to maintain their F-1 visa status.

Is my current F-1 visa status at risk while we look for a strategic partner?

F-1 students under Hampshire’s visa sponsorship are not in danger of losing their legal immigration status while we look for a long-term partner.

Will I still be able to work at Hampshire under my F-1 visa status?

Yes. You are still eligible to work at Hampshire.

Will tuition remain the same for international students, and will I receive the same amount of financial aid?

Tuition and related fees change year to year and could increase just as they have in the past. International students who qualify for need-based aid in their first year can expect to receive the same percentage of tuition as grant aid throughout the rest of their years at Hampshire.

  • International students do not need to reapply for aid each year.
  • Your financial aid award will be based on percentage of the tuition that you were promised as a first year student.  However, if you do not purchase a full meal plan, then your Hampshire need based grant will be reduced by $1000 per semester, per policy.

  • Awards will be made available in early June and you'll be notified by e-mail that you may log in to the Hub to review them.

What would happen to international students’ visa status if Hampshire College were to unexpectedly close?

Hampshire is focused on finding a sustainable model for its next half century and beyond, but if Hampshire were to unexpectedly close, we would work with our international students to make sure they are able to make informed decisions about their future and immigration status, and we would work to help transfer their visa to another institution, if applicable.

I am graduating in May 2019 and am interested in applying for OPT (Optional Practical Training) work. Is that still possible?

Yes, OPT for students graduating this spring is still possible. Please be in touch with MISS for details on how to apply.

If I remain at and graduate from Hampshire in the future, will I still be able to apply to do OPT after I graduate?

Assuming that Hampshire or our partner is sponsoring F-1 visas, then yes, students should still be eligible for OPT after they graduate.

Who do I contact if I have questions about my visa status?

Please send an email to missintl@hampshire.edu and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

If I decide to transfer, what is the process and how does it impact my F-1 visa status?

Although we hope our international students will remain at Hampshire to complete their education, we understand that some students will choose to transfer to another school in the US. The transfer of a student’s federal SEVIS (immigration) record to another school is an easy process. If a student decides to transfer, MISS will need a copy of the student’s acceptance letter to the new school. We will then transfer the student’s record in SEVIS to the new school so they can issue an I-20 form to attend their institution. If the F1 visa stamp in the student’s passport is still valid, they will be able to use that visa (even though it will list Hampshire College) along with the new school’s I-20 form to re-enter the US if they travel abroad.


Stay In Touch
With The President's Office
Snail Mail
Office of the President
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002