In Case of Emergency or Crisis Situation
In-transit /traveling to and from country, if students miss their flights or there is another emergency while in transit, students should...
- Call faculty leader on cell phone if still in US.
- Call GEO if faculty leader is already in host country. GEO will then contact leader. If GEO is unavailable, call HC switchboard and they will re-direct the call.
In-country, students should...
- Call host country equivalent of 911 if necessary and/or get to the nearest hospital. If appropriate, also contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
- Get in contact with their faculty leaders immediately. If the student cannot reach the faculty leader, call “back-up” in-country contact.
- If student can’t get in contact with leader, call GEO in the US. If GEO is unavailable, call HC switchboard and they will re-direct the call.
- Call parents to apprise them of the situation and let them know you are okay.
- Contact appropriate in-country contacts to solicit help and/or support.
- Call AIG Assist for help regarding medical assistance and evacuation.
- Call GEO in the US to update them on the situation or seek additional assistance. If GEO is unavailable, call HC switchboard and they will re-direct the call.
- Complete an incident report form to submit to GEO upon return.
Once GEO has been contacted in an emergency or crisis situation, GEO will…
- Contact faculty leader and be in contact with leader to receive updates.
- Contact necessary/appropriate people and offices on campus (Crisis Management Team).
- Contact host-country consulate/embassy for updates if appropriate
- Contact/update parents/students’ emergency contacts.
Return to How to Go Abroad: Health and Safety