|Sign Up for CEL-1
Ready. Set. Go.
Campus-Engaged Learning (CEL-1)
In addition to a minimum of seven faculty-evaluated courses, students in Division I must carry out at least one campus-engaged learning (CEL-1) activity that engages with fellow students and expands the ways they learn and reflect. The CEL-1 requirement must meet a minimum of 40 hours, approximately equal to course contact hours.
The appropriate CEL-1 activities will be determined in consultation with the tutorial advisor and the activity sponsor(s). The student will document the fulfillment of the CEL-1 and include a reflection on it in the Division I retrospective essay.
Your CEL-1 must:
1. Log in to http://CEL1.hampshire.edu and browse the working list of activities. OR if you have been involved with a great CEL-1 activity not on the website, please direct your sponsor to the Sponsor Guidelines (pdf) to add the activity to the CEL-1 database.
2. Add activities that interest you to “My Favorites” by clicking the yellow star next to the activity (this serves as a personal reminder and does not hold your spot). Review the details and availability of activities and contact the activity sponsor.
3. Register for the activity by going to the "Registration" tab and click on the activity from your Favorites list on the left sidebar OR click the red heart next to an activity title. Answer the prompt questions. This will initiate an automatic email to your sponsor for approval. You are not officially registered for an activity until the sponsor has logged in and approved your participation.
4. Engage in this great opportunity. Document and reflect along the way. Keep track of your hours.
5. Within two weeks of the end of your activity, submit your verification (under the "Verification" tab). Write a brief narrative about the work and the number of hours you spent working on the activity. This will initiate an automatic email to your sponsor for approval.
6. Use the reflection worksheet (under the "Reflection" tab) as a guide to writing about your CEL-1 experiences. Write often and save your work. This narrative will be available to you as you write your Division I Retrospective.
The CEL-1 requirement enables entering first-year students’ early integration into the life and ethos of the College. The basis of a Hampshire education, Non Satis Scire (“To know is not enough”), requires all community members to make active connections between their academic pursuits and other areas of their lives, recognizing that the projects we undertake outside of the classroom matter. Hampshire College also expects faculty, staff, and students to work collaboratively toward the achievement of shared goals, and to contribute to our community in imaginative ways.
The CEL-1’s collaborative spirit and the requirement that students reflect critically and think carefully about their own engagement also prepare them to become critically engaged scholars, artists, and scientists who participate actively and responsibly in the Hampshire community and the larger world.
While students and advisors can select a CEL-1 from among well-established options--activities in which Hampshire students have long been engaged--the requirement also encourages projects pioneered by Division II and III students, staff, and faculty members themselves.
With the advisor’s approval, groups of first-year students may propose, design, and carry out new, innovative CEL-1 projects that enhance students’ ability to work with others toward shared goals. CEL-1 projects can be aimed at improving the campus; enhancing our academic program and its connection to applied, practical non-course-based activities; addressing specific needs; or at building a spirit of community and collaboration across our varied constituencies.
For Transfer Students
Transfer students do not complete CEL-1 at the Division I level, but are required to complete CEL-2 at the Division II level.
© 2013 Hampshire College 893 West Street Amherst, MA 01002 . 413.549.4600