Hampshire Exchange in the Czech Republic
Location: Olomouc, Czech Republic
Term: Spring (mid-February to mid-June) and Fall (September-December)
Language of Instruction: English and Czech
Prerequisites: None; no Czech required.
Hampshire's Exchange with Palacký University Olomouc in the Czech Republic is an excellent option for students looking for a direct enroll experience at a European university. Hampshire students enroll directly at Palacký University Olomouc, taking classes in the social sciences, humanities, and natural sciences.
Palacký University Olomouc is divided into seven different faculties (schools): theology, arts, physical culture, health sciences, medicine and dentistry, education, law, and science. Hampshire students will be enrolled in the Faculty of Arts, but may be able to enroll in courses within other faculties such as education and science.
About Palacký University Olomouc
Palacký University Olomouc is located in the heart of central Europe; an ideal location for anyone interested in learning more about the history and culture of the Czech Republic and central/eastern Europe. Palacký University Olomouc is the second oldest university in the Czech Republic. It was first established in 1566 as a Jesuit college and then given full university rights in 1573. Today, no longer a Jesuit university, the university has strong academic roots in theology, medicine, philosophy, and education, and has a total enrollment of approximately 18,000 students.
The direct enrollment experience allows students to take courses across various faculties and disciplines. Available disciplines include (but are not limited to) political science, Central European and European history and cultural studies, psychology, linguistics, international relations, philosophy, anthropology, communications, art and art history, music history, biology, mathematics, chemistry, and ecology. Students should visit the course catalog for a full listing of available courses and the Palacký University Exchange Student page for more information.
Housing and Meals
Housing is provided in one of two student residences located in and near the center of Olomouc. All accommodations include a shared kitchen, living room, and bathroom. Doubles and some single rooms are available. Students may eat in the local dining hall/cafeterias. Students can also prepare their own meals in their kitchens, and dormitories are centrally located to a variety of restaurants.
Hampshire Exchange Fees and Financial Aid provides detailed information on the fee policy, withdrawal policy and how financial aid may apply.
- Tuition Fees: Paid to Hampshire
- Housing Fees: Paid to Palacký University Olomouc
- Other expenses: Students are responsible for the cost of meals; passport and visa fees; international and local transportation including airfare; books and supplies; international health insurance; and personal expenses.
- Thanks to an Erasmus + Grant, students participating in this program in spring 2017 will receive a modest stipend upon arrival in country to cover living and food costs.
The Hampshire Exchange program at Palacký University is open to division II Hampshire College students who have completed two years of college-level study.
Review detailed information on eligibility requirements and policies in the Hampshire College Handbook under Exchange, Field Study, and Short-term Field Courses.
How to Apply
- Meet with the GEO: Students are required to meet with the GEO program manager for this exchange program before submitting an application.
- Review Applying to a Hampshire Exchange Program: Includes deadlines, application instructions, requirements, and procedures.
- Apply now: Students apply online through HampGOES (Hampshire's Global Experience System).
Contact the GEO program manager: