We have tutorials and tips for the most commonly used software at Hampshire.
Students, faculty, and staff can also purchase software at a discount for personally owned computers.
Software Available at Hampshire
Campus-wide coverage for Hampshire-owned machines
- Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project, which also extends to cover one "work-at-home" license for Microsoft Office for faculty and staff to install on home computers. Faculty and staff pay a nominal fee for this license.
- Zimbra Calendar
- ESET Anti-virus
- Adobe: Acrobat Professional
- Adobe: After Effects
- Adobe: Illustrator
- Adobe: InDesign
- Adobe: Photoshop Extended
- Adobe: Web Standard Suite (Dreamweaver, Flash)
- Apple: Final Cut Studio
- Apple: iLife (iTunes, iPhoto, etc)
- Apple: iWork (Pages, Keynote)
- Filemaker Pro
- Microsoft Visio
Available in specific labs on campus
- Autodesk: Maya (CS and IA/DART Lab)
- SoftImage (IA/DART Lab)
- Shake (CS)
- Minitab (NS)
- ArcGIS/ArcView (NS)
- Kurzweil 3000 (Disability Services)
- NaturallySpeaking (Disability Services)
Contact the help desk to request any of the above software or to find out where to access it. Requests for software not listed above are handled on a case-by-case basis.
Open Source Software
It respects your rights. It's cutting edge. It's free software.
Free software, popularly marketed as "open source software" is free as in "freedom" of speech, not just as in "free beer." Free software isn't owned by any one company; it's a collaborative project often worked on by many programmers, and often under constant revision. These are free software programs we like, but be sure to check Hampedia's list, the Free Software Directory, and osalt.com (Open Source as Alternative) for a comprehensive list.
Office / Productivity
- Gimp Photo editing
- ImageJ Photo editing
- Paint.net Photo editing (PC Only)
- Scribus Desktop Publishing
- ChemSketch Chem Draw alternative. Not open source, but free for education.
- HEC-RAS HEC-RAS allows you to perform one-dimensional steady flow, unsteady flow, sediment transport/mobile bed computations, and water temperature modeling.
- R Statistical computing and graphics.
- PSPP statistical analysis alternative to SPSS
- Serial Cloner Light molecular biology software
- 4Peaks Mac OS X application for viewing and editing sequence trace files
Multimedia and Audio
- CDBurnerXP CD and DVD burning software (PC only)
- Putty Terminal/SSH
- Winscp File Transfer
- Cwrsync File Transfer
- Cyberduck FTP
Software Discounts for Personal Computers
Students, faculty, and staff can also purchase software at a discount for personally owned computers by visiting www.hampshire.edu/techdiscounts.