A Flower in the Hampshire College Greenhouse

Support and Resources

The College encourages survivors of sexual violence to talk to somebody about what happened so they can get the support they need and so the College can respond appropriately. There are multiple channels for reporting to the College, to law enforcement, or to both or to neither. Survivors may also decide they want to talk to someone confidentially first or during the time they are also making a report. This document is intended to raise awareness to our students of the various reporting and confidential disclosure options available so they can make informed choices about where to turn should they or someone they know become a victim of sexual violence.

If you would like to seek assistance or support, but do not want the College to investigate or take any action at the time, you may speak with one of the College's confidential resources. These include health and counseling services, licensed mental health professionals, and ordained clergy. Confidential off-campus resources are also available. Confidential resources have the primary mission of addressing the needs of the individual who is reporting, rather than the community as a whole, and have been granted certain legal confidentiality privileges to facilitate this. Thus, individuals may speak with these resources openly without concern of initiating an investigation, as long as there is no immediate threat to safety to the complainant or the community. 

A number of private resources are also available on campus. Private resources share information with only those they are required to by law or job function. Private resources are not considered confidential, as they are required to report to the Title IX coordinator.

You can find more information about support and resource options at hampshire.edu/studentlife/sexual-respect.htm.

Confidential Assistance On Campus

  •  Health and Counseling ServicesHealth and counseling services offers professional medical and mental health (counseling) services at no charge to students. Medical services include attending to injuries and discussing and providing emergency contraception and STI prophylaxis if there is a risk of pregnancy or of contracting an STI. If you want medical or counseling services, contact health and counseling services at 413.559.5458.
  • Liza Neal, director of spiritual life and ordained minister: If you want to report confidentially and receive spiritual counseling call 413.559.5282 or visit the spiritual life website.

Non-Professional Counseling and Advocacy:

Other employees may talk to a survivor in confidence, and generally only report to the College that an incident occurred without revealing any personally identifying information. Disclosures to these employees will not initiate a College Title IX investigation into an incident against the survivor’s wishes. They must report anonymously for Clery Act purposes.

  • Shannon Da Silva, director of survivor supports, Wellness Center, 413.559.4510, sdasilva@hampshire.edu
  • Director of Wellness Promotion, Wellness Center, 413.559.5743
  • Emily Rimmer, director for Womens’ and Queer Services, Center for Feminisms, 413.559.5320, erimmer@hampshire.edu
  • Peer Chaplains, for spiritually-based peer support, 413.313.6500 or peerchaplains@hampshire.edu

Confidential Assistance Off Campus

  • Center for Women and Community: The Center for Women and Community (formerly the Everywoman's Center) offers sexual assault and relationship violence services to the Five Colleges and the greater community. It has a year-round, 24-hour hotline, and offers individual counseling and support groups. The Center for Women and Community's services are available to people of all genders; they can be reached by calling 1.888.337.0800.
  • The SANE (sexual assault nurse exam): Victim/survivors who are considering filing criminal charges, or who want to keep their options open in the future, are advised to get a SANE exam to collect medical evidence. The exam can be completed for up to five days after the assault, but it is best to collect evidence as soon after the assault as possible. The exam is free of charge, is completely confidential, and is available at University Health Services (UHS) at University of Massachusetts Amherst when they are open, or at Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton after hours. If you have questions about the services at UHS, please call 413.577.5000 and ask to speak to the triage nurse. Even if you decide not to have the exam, it is advisable to seek medical attention, especially if penetration, bruising, or injury occurred, so that you can receive care and medication to prevent pregnancy or STIs.
  • Employee Assistant Program/E4-Health The program offers free confidential assessment and referral services, and short-term counseling to help you and anyone living in your household work through life's challenges. Employees and their household members are each eligible for three voluntary referral counseling sessions, per issue, per calendar year. The EAP has helped people effectively deal with a variety of issues including: anger, anxiety, grief, communication problems, drinking or drug use, domestic violence, eating disorders, marital/relationship/family concerns, mood swings, depression, parenting, stress (at work, home, or financial), suicidal thoughts, work issues, or performance problems, etc. Please call 800.828.6025
  • Legal Action: Sexual offenses are against the law (though legal definitions may vary from the definitions laid out in this policy) and you may choose to prosecute legally and/or seek legal protection through a restraining order or campus trespass order. Even if you do not want to pursue legal resolution at this time, or are unsure, you may want to see the SANE. Campus police can assist in filing a police report, connecting you with the local police department, and the district attorney's office. Additionally, it is always a student's right to contact the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) at 617.289.0111 or OCR.Boston.ed.gov.

State and Federal Remedies

In addition to the above, if an employee believes that he or she has been subjected to a sexual harassment or offense, the employee may file a formal complaint with either or both of the government agencies set forth below. Using the College's complaint process does not prohibit the employee from filing a complaint with these agencies. Each of the agencies has a short time period for filing a claim (EEOC, 300 days; MCAD, 300 days).

  • The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ("EEOC") John F. Kennedy Federal Building, 475 Government Center, Boston, MA 02203, 800.669.4000.
  • The Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination ("MCAD") Boston Office: One Ashburton Place, Sixth Floor, Rm. 601, Boston, MA 02108, 617.994.6000. Springfield office: 436 Dwight Street, Second Floor, Rm. 220, Springfield, MA 01103, 413.739.2145.

Filing a formal complaint:

If a survivor would like to speak to someone about filing a formal complaint, interim safety measures, or alternate/informal resolutions, they may talk with someone from the Title IX team. Title IX team members can also help survivors identify and navigate other on and off campus supports, including the legal system. Title IX team members are private, not confidential. Private resources share information with only those they are required to by law or job function.

  • The Title IX team: This is a group of administrators whose role is to oversee various parts of Title IX compliance.


Additional Campus Resources

Responsible Reporters:

Some employees are required to report all the details of an incident (including the identities of both the survivor and alleged perpetrator) to a Title IX team member. A report to these employees (called “responsible employees”) constitutes a report to the College and generally obligates the College to investigate the incident and take appropriate steps to address the situation. These responsible reporters will report the information you share with them to a member of the Title IX team who will follow up with the survivor to determine next steps.

Responsible employees include:

  • All Hampshire College staff and faculty (other than those designated on the next page)
  • RAs, TAs and EMTs


Emergency Assistance

If you are experiencing an emergency on campus and need immediate medical assistance, call campus police at 413.559.5555 or x1911 from an on-campus phone. Campus police will also provide transportation to off-campus resources for exams.

Finally, you are a campus resource. Hampshire encourages all students to be active community members and take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent or stop an act of sexual misconduct. Here are some steps you can take to intervene at Hampshire:

Call campus police at 413.559.5555 if you are concerned for someone’s safety.

If you hear someone acting or speaking in a manner that is offensive, demeaning, or abusive to a targeted person or group of people, let them know it makes you uncomfortable and ask them to stop.

If you are aware that sexual misconduct has taken place, you may report the offense yourself  and/or encourage the victim/survivor to report the offense and seek support.

Stay In Touch
With Chief Diversity Officer
Snail Mail
Chief Diversity Officer
Mail Code PR
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002