Payments to Non-Immigrant Visitors |

Payments to Non-Immigrant Visitors

This page provides information for payments to a non-immigrant visitor for services provided to Hampshire College as an independent contractor. Examples of these types of services are: presenting a paper, serving as a panel member at a symposium, or giving a lecture. Non-immigrant visitors are defined as individuals who are in the United States for a short period of time, hold foreign tax residency, and are not employees of Hampshire College.

The United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS), formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) restrict the College's ability to make payments to non-immigrant visitors. To ensure that your foreign visitor can be paid legally and promptly, your cooperation is essential.

As early as possible after engaging the non-immigrant visitor, please forward the individual's name and email address to Controller Mike Ford ( so a record can be entered into the Windstar program.

The following documents must be provided before payment will be processed:

  • A copy of the contract between the non-immigrant visitor and the College (See contract template page)
  • A copy of the passport
  • A copy of the visa (this is a page in their passport)
  • A completed W-8 BEN Form
  • A copy of the I-94 (cards are no longer issued, but travelers can obtain a copy of the form at An I-94 form is encouraged, but not required.

Please direct questions about this process to Mike Ford at extension 5408.

W-8 BEN Form

Stay In Touch
With Hampshire College
Snail Mail
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002