Hampshire College Student and Faculty Meet

The Center for Academic Support and Advising (CASA)

Hampshire is evolving. For questions about the current state of academics, student life, financial aid, or support, please see our answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

The Center for Academic Support and Advising (CASA) provides support and assistance to students and advisors to plan and achieve academic goals. CASA monitors students' academic progress and offers a variety of support and programming to faculty, and students at all divisional levels.

Statement on Academic Policies at Hampshire College for Fall 2019

To our current students:

Here at CASA we’ve received many questions about the update we posted on our website earlier this week. First, we want to say we understand that it caused concern, and we’re sorry for that. As we’ve stated earlier, we’re committed to supporting all our current students as you work toward graduation by May 2022. We’d like to provide this clarification.

As a Hampshire student, of course you must make the choices that are best for you. Below we’ve listed various scenarios you might encounter, along with the relevant information to guide you.

If you decide it’s in your interest to take a leave of absence from the college, our policies can be found here. Please note, if you decide to take a one-semester personal leave of absence, you do not need to reapply for readmission in order to return. This has been the long-standing policy at Hampshire.

If you are currently on medical leave or you’ve withdrawn from the college, you would have to apply to return to Hampshire through the readmissions process. We cannot, however, promise that you would be readmitted under the current academic program.

If you’re expecting to graduate by May 2022 and you wish to take a personal leave, please note: If you’ve completed fewer than two full semesters of courses, we cannot, at this moment, promise that you would be graduating from Hampshire’s current academic program. This can be complicated, so please reach out to us if you’d like to talk this through.

If you are behind academically or you wish to take a leave, please work with your faculty advisors, a dean, or CASA staff so together we can develop a plan to help you. Contact information is below.

Finally, if you have advanced standing credit, you can use it. Please see our policy here. If you are working to complete your Division II coursework within three semesters, be sure to meet with the CASA staff to discuss the process.

Please know that we are always here to listen to your concerns, answer your questions—to be here for you in every way we can. Reach out to any of the CASA deans or staff at 413.559.5498, email advising@hampshire.edu, or come by the Lemelson Building office. In the meantime, we’ll continue to keep in touch with you. 

Updated March 6, 2019

For Students

For Faculty

Requirements and Policies

Hours and Other Services

We are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

For information about academic records, transcripts, enrollment and/or graduation, course registration, and other College records and statistics, contact Central Records.

Stay In Touch
With The Center for Academic Support and Advising (CASA)
Snail Mail
Center for Academic Support and Advising (CASA)
Mail Code AC
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002