Changing Rooms

Room assignments are made for the academic year. Students should expect to stay in the same room for the duration of the fall and spring semesters. Students who experience difficulties in their residence should consult their resident advisor (RA) or area coordinator to discuss how they can improve and tolerate their current environment. Students who feel their current living situation is untenable can meet with their area coordinators to discuss these circumstances, or may submit the request for change in housing assignment form in order to report a problem in their current living situation and request a change in their housing assignment.

What should I do if my roommate or modmate and I don't get along?

If you are having a hard time with your current roommate or modmate, you should get in touch with your RA or CF. Resident Advisors (RAs) and Community Facilitators (CFs) are trained to help residents resolve conflicts and find solutions to problems. They are happy to listen, and they are great at pointing you to the next step if what you are trying isn't working. If your initial efforts don't prove fruitful, you can make an appointment with your area coordinator or resident director to discuss the situation and enlist the coordinator's help. Area coordinators and resident directors are also great listeners, and have many resources to help you create a better living environment. You may also submit the request for change in housing assignment form in order to report a problem in your current living situation and request a change in your housing assignment.

Can I change my room assignment?

When circumstances necessitate a move, and it is approved by residence life and housing staff, students will be given a new room assignment by the Housing Operations Office (HOO) as space permits. Space on campus can be quite limited, and a new room assignment may not meet all preferences.

One of my modmates moved out. How can I have input into who will be placed there?

Though all decisions about who fills mod vacancies are ultimately made by the HOO, the current residents of mods may express their wishes in several ways, which will be taken into consideration by the HOO as much as administrative need permits. Mods are encouraged to list "alternates" (suggestions to the HOO of students they would like to live with), and to assign accurate housing designations to the mod in order to help the HOO make thoughtful placement decisions. Though we encourage mods to list these aspects right after they win the mod during the housing lottery, students may update these lists at any time by emailing the HOO and cc-ing all other modmates. 

Can I swap rooms with a modmate or move into an empty room in the mod?

Residents wishing to switch rooms within a mod may do so pending approval from the HOO. A simple form is required, which can be picked up at the HOO, downloaded here, or emailed to the mod upon request. Moving into an empty room additionally requires the approval from all modmates (confirmed by their signatures on the form). When rearranging within a mod, the double must be either full (two students) or empty (no students). Room switches between the fall and spring semesters must be requested, approved, and completed before leaving for winter break. More information on deadlines will be distributed via email and the daily digest closer to the date. These restrictions are placed because of the complicated nature of housing students who are returning from leave, field study, and exchange for the spring semester, as well as to accommodate the incoming class.

I know of an empty room on campus. May I move into that room?

Residents should never move into a room without prior approval from residence life and housing staff. Living in a room that you are not assigned to is a violation of school policy and may result in disciplinary action. Moves are approved based on the circumstances of a student's current assignment rather than on a student's wish to live in another room that happens to be vacant. Living on campus among peers is a large part of the Hampshire education. We believe that allowing students to move rather than learn to tolerate, and ultimately improve, their current living situation is an educational disservice.