Resources for Current Students

This page is your easy link to all the important housing instructions, forms, and applications you'll need while you are a resident at Hampshire College. 

Winter Break Intersession Housing

All college residences close during the winter break, and all students must vacate until returning for the spring semester. Visit the break housing resource page for details about exceptions, as well as instructions to complete prior to departing for the break.

Changing Rooms

Room assignments are made for the entire year, and students should expect to stay in their current room assignment until the spring term ends, or they go on leave/field-study/exchange. If you are hoping to change your room assignment during the year, please refer to our page about room changes. Students who feel their current living situation is untenable should meet with their residence life coordinators to discuss these circumstances.

Guest Registration

*Please note that due to COVID-19 safety needs, off-campus guests are NOT permitted at this time.* Any student wishing to host an overnight guest in their college residence must submit the guest registration form. You and your guest must abide by the guest policy, as well as all other community norms. The timing of guests' visits will determine if they require a parking permit. Visitors must park in designated visitor parking.

Residence Life Office

If you lose your keys or have any questions regarding current or future housing assignments, visit the residence life office on the second floor of Dakin Student Life Center.

January Residency

Students will not be permitted to reside on campus until the beginning of the spring semester except for those approved, paying for intersession housing.

Living Off Campus

Hampshire is a residential campus, and therefore requires students to live on campus. In certain circumstances, however, students may be granted an exemption to this requirement.


Find instructions on how to enter a work order for your room or common area. For emergency facilities needs after business hours, please call Campus Safety and Wellbeing at 413.559.5424.

Meal Plans

Detailed information on meal plan options are available on Dining Services page. Students in the residence halls (Merrill and Dakin) are required to be on a full meal plan. Students with special dietary requirements, including those with food allergies, may email to discuss needs. Students living in the mods (apartment-style housing) are required to be on at least the partial meal plan.

Room Selection

Room selection takes place in late spring for students continuing to the next academic year. Students select their housing assignment for the upcoming year. Those selecting to live in mods form groups to fill the mod.

Social Event Registration

In order to host a social event in your Mod, please complete the online Social Event Registration Form. Please note, that registered social events are only allowed in Mod style residences. For more information about residential social events, please visit this section of the student handbook.

Summer Intersession Housing

Hampshire College offers limited summer campus housing to select continuing students sponsored by college departments.


Campus storage is not available at any time (with the exception of international students coordinating with student affairs). Students must only bring items that fit in their living space. After moving out, items must be removed from campus (either to home or to local storage facilities).