As a residential college, Hampshire requires students to live on campus. During years when there is a housing shortage, decisions about voluntary exemptions to this policy are made on a case-by-case basis. Students seeking an exemption based on a demonstrated medical need for a living environment that the College is unable to provide should contact the director of accessibility resources and services.
The Application for Exemption to the Residency Requirement for fall 2018 is currently closed. Notification of approval, denial, or waitlist status will be sent to applicants' Hampshire College email address by Friday, April 13.
The application will reopen on June 1, 2018.
Our off-campus policy is outlined in detail in the student handbook. Our procedures for granting exemptions are as follows:
- Each year the housing operations office will determine how many new off-campus applications can be approved.
- Students seeking to move off campus for the following year may apply at will (the application is available from mid-February through early April).
- Students seeking to move off campus beginning in the middle of an academic year may submit the application, noting that off-campus spaces are usually filled by the beginning of the school year. Check the important dates and deadlines page for current semester deadlines.
- Once students have been approved to live off campus, their status will not be changed officially until they supply the housing operations office with their new addresses and return keys to any on-campus residence (if applicable).
- Once a student's status is changed to "off campus," it is assumed the student will be living off campus for the remainder of the time the individual is enrolled at Hampshire. Off-campus students will be accepted back to campus housing at any time. Students are responsible for informing the College of any changes of address which may have an effect on their Financial Aid Package.
- Applications are reviewed by the associate director of residence life and housing, the area coordinators, and the director of financial aid, to determine eligibility for approval. Students will be notified via their Hampshire email account of their decision.
Students who qualify as "automatically exempt" from the requirement of living on campus are:
- Students who live with their parents within a 30-mile radius and commute
- Students who are 25 years old or older
- Students who are married or meet our domestic partnership criteria
- Students who have dependent children living with them
These students should submit the off-campus application noting their automatic exemption.
Returning from Leave or Field Study
Students returning from leave, field study, or exchange may apply for an exemption to the residency requirement while they are away by submitting the application. Any students who have previously been assigned to off-campus status will retain that status automatically, unless they file a request to return to campus housing form. More information is available on the returning from leave page.
Check out the Living Off Campus FAQ or Contact the HOO!
Looking for Off-Campus Resources?
Find out about some resources the College and the area offer for students living off campus.