Changing Rooms

Room assignments are made for the academic year. Students should expect to stay in the same room for the duration of the fall and spring semesters. Students who experience difficulties in their residence should consult their resident advisor (RA) or residence life coordinator to discuss how they can improve  their current environment. Students who believe their current living situation is untenable may meet with their residence life coordinator to discuss these circumstances and request a room change.

What should I do if my roommate or modmate and I do not get along?

If you are having a challenging time with your current roommate or modmate, you should get in touch with your RA, who is trained to help residents resolve their conflicts and find solutions to their problems. They are happy to listen, and they are great at pointing you to the next step if what you are trying is not working. If your initial efforts do not prove fruitful, you can make an appointment with your residence life coordinator to discuss the situation and enlist their help. They are also great listeners and have many resources to help you create a better living environment.

May I change my room assignment?

When circumstances necessitate a room change, as space permits, and it is approved by residence life staff, students will be given a new room assignment by email. Residential space is limited, and a new room assignment may not meet all needs and preferences.

One of my modmates moved out. How may I have input into who will be placed there?

Though all decisions about who fills mod vacancies are ultimately made by the residence life staff, the current residents of mods may express their wishes in several ways, which will be taken into consideration. After a vacancy arises, mod residents should provide names of students wishing to move in to fill the vacancy. If there are no students identified by the current mod residents, residence life staff will assign students as needed.  

May I swap rooms with a modmate or move into an empty room in the mod?

Residents wishing to switch rooms within a mod may do so pending approval from the residence life staff. Email your request to Room switches between the fall and spring semesters must be requested, approved, and completed two weeks prior to winter break begins. These restrictions are placed because of the complicated nature of assigning students who are returning from leave, field study, and exchange for the spring semester, as well as to accommodate the incoming new spring semester students.

I know of an empty room on campus. May I move into that room?

Residents should never move into a room without prior approval from residence life staff. Living in a room that you are not assigned to is a violation of college policy and will result in disciplinary action. Moves are approved based on the circumstances of a student's current assignment rather than on a student's wish to live in another room which may happen to be vacant. Living on campus among peers is a large part of the Hampshire education.