Student Health Insurance
Regardless of insurance coverage, most services at health and counseling services are available to students at no additional charge beyond the health services fee. These include:
- Nurse visits and telephone advice
- Physician and nurse practitioner visits
- Psychological counseling visits
- Lab tests performed on-site (pregnancy, UTI tests, HIV, TB tests)
College students in Massachusetts are REQUIRED to have health insurance.
FAQs for Student Health Insurance (pdf)
Students need health insurance for:
- Prescription medications
- Laboratory tests and x-rays
- Ambulance and hospitalization
- Medical or counseling visits to off-campus professionals
To comply with the Massachusetts state regulations, all students are automatically charged for and enrolled in the student health insurance plan through Gallagher Student Health.
If you are covered under another plan and can provide your policy information, you may waive the College's insurance, after July 1, at the www.gallagherstudent.com/Hampshire, and your student account will be credited. Not all plans provide comparable coverage to the Hampshire College Student Health Insurance Plan. View the FAQs for Student Health Insurance (pdf), or check with your insurance company before waiving coverage.
Fees charged for the student health insurance plan are separate from the health services fee, which pays for utilizing the College's health and counseling services.
Student Health Insurance Plan Deadlines
- The deadline for waiving the Hampshire College Student Health Insurance Plan is August 14, 2016.
- Between August 15 and September 18, 2016, waiving is only considered under appeal with an online Petition to Waive.
- Coverage begins August 15. If insurance is utilized at any time after coverage commences, waiving is no longer an option.
Insurance for Special Circumstances
- Foreign medical insurance coverage is not acceptable under Massachusetts law. Therefore, you cannot waive coverage unless you are currently enrolled in an U.S.-based insurance company comparable to the Hampshire College student medical insurance plan.
- Leave of absence students are eligible to have coverage continue for a maximum of two semesters if they had insurance coverage the preceding term. If the insurance was waived the preceding term, they are not eligible for insurance. Students must submit a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org for insurance coverage.
- Leave exchange and field study students (outgoing) are required to have insurance. Students can waive the insurance if their private carriers will cover them out of the United States. This must be approved via Gallagher Koster's waiver plan.