What to Do When Health and Counseling Services is Closed
Hampshire College Health and Counseling Services (HCHCS) is open Monday–Friday, 9 a.m–noon and 1–4:30 p.m. when Hampshire College is in session. Call 413.559.5458 for medical or mental health questions, advice, and appointments.
Updated August 2020
Emergency!? Call 413.559.5424 for Hampshire College Campus Security or 911 for an ambulance.
The Amherst Fire Department ambulance will respond. Transport is usually to: Cooley Dickinson Hospital Emergency Department, 30 Locust St, Northampton, 413.582.2000.
Sexual Assault 24-Hour Crisis Hotline: 413.545.0800
The Rape Crisis Services program at the Center for Women and Community provides free and confidential crisis services for survivors of all gender expressions in the Five College Community. Llamanos 800.223.5001 para hablar con un consejero de agresión sexual en Español.
Mental Health Concerns (non-emergency)
Call Health and Counseling Services at 413.559.5458 and choose option 1. The phone will be answered by a licensed mental health counselor who will ask how the counselor can help you. If you are a Hampshire College student, the counselor will help you with your immediate situation and help you get connected to resources that will support you in the long term. If you are a Hampshire College friend, family member, or staff/faculty member with concerns about a Hampshire student, the counselor will consult with you about your concern, speak with the student if they are available, and let you know what the next steps should be to help.
Medical Care (non-emergency)
- UMass COVID-19 Hotline: 413.577.5128
- “Minute Nurse” Telephone Advice 24/7 at UMass University Health Services: 413.577.5128 or HCHCS 413.559.5458 and choose option #2. A triage nurse will help you with medical advice and how to get appropriate medical care for your concern.
- Evening and Weekend Medical Care at UMass University Health Services (UHS): 413.577.5000, Telehealth visits until 8 p.m. Monday–Friday. Telehealth, COVID-19 testing, and in-person medical visits on weekends. All care is appointment only, so call first to discuss with triage nurse. Hampshire students have full access to the UMass UHS whenever HCHCS is closed. Medical staff at UHS have full access to your medical records for continuity of care and will arrange follow-up with Hampshire Health and Counseling Services.
- Amherst Urgent Care, 413.461.3530, satellite of Cooley Dickinson Hospital, 170 University Drive, Amherst, MA. Open Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–8 p.m. and weekends 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
- MedExpress Urgent Care: 413.253.0483, 424 Russell St. (Route 9), Amherst, MA. Open every day 8 a.m–8 p.m. for in-person and telehealth appointments.