Working with Zimbra Calendars
Your Main Calendar
Every user has a main calendar named "Calendar." The main calendar has two special properties:
- It cannot be deleted.
- It cannot be synched with an .ics calendar.
As with all calendars you create, the default setting is to have your calendar viewable only by you, but if you wish, you can share it with others as described in the "sharing calendars" section below.
You can create additional calendars as well:
- Click on the gear icon next to 'Calendars' in the left side of your calendars window and select "New Calendar" from the drop down menu, then give it a name.
- You can choose a color for the calendar to distinguish its appointments from your other calendar's.
- If the appointments on this calendar will not be affecting your free/busy time, check the box to exclude them from it.
While all internal users (i.e. Hampshire College Zimbra users) can view your free and busy time when scheduling an appointment, you must share your calendar with them if you want them to see your calendar details.
- To access sharing options, right-click (or ctrl-click on a Mac) the calendar you want to share (it will be listed on the left hand pane in Zimbra), and select "Share Calendar." Enter the users @connect.hampshire.edu address in the Email box.
- For internal (i.e. Hampshire College @connect.hampshire.edu) users, there are three levels of sharing that you can choose to allow:
- Viewer: Read-only access to your calendar
- Manager: View, Edit, Add, Remove, Accept, Decline
- Admin: View, Edit, Add, Remove, Accept, Decline, Administer (Administer includes deciding sharing privileges for the calendar, for instance.)
- For external (non-Hampshire) selected users, you may allow viewing with a password that you provide.
- For public, unrestricted viewing, you can supply a URL that will allow anyone to view the calendar.
- If you share a calendar internally or externally (with the exception of public calendars), the user(s) you indicate will be sent an email containing the URL to access the calendar, as well as the password if needed.
Finding Shared Calendars
- In your Calendar tab in Zimbra, 'Click' the gear icon next to the word Calendars in the left side window and select 'Find Shares' from the drop down menu.
- Scroll the list of shared calendars, or use the search options, to find the calendar you're looking for.
- Once you've found the calendar, add a check next to it and click the 'Add' button.
- Now the calendar should appear in your list of calendars on the left side where you can toggle on/off viewing the calendar by checking and unchecking the box next to the calendar.
Adding the Intranet Academic Calendar (view only)
These instructions are for adding the academic/divisional calendar into your Zimbra account as a separate calendar.
- In your Calendar tab in Zimbra, 'Click' the gear icon next to the word Calendars in the left side window and select 'Add External Calendar' from the drop down menu.
- Choose 'Add External Calendar (Other)' and click 'Next'.
- Change the 'Type' to 'ICAL Subscription' and a URL box will become visible. Copy and paste the URL https://intranet.hampshire.edu/ical/academic.ics into that box, then click 'Next'
- In the name field, enter something like 'Academic', choose a color for this calendar and check the 'Exclude this calendar when reporting free/busy times' box.
- Click OK
NOTE: The calendar will initially take a full minute or two to load and then you will then have the Academic calendar you chose available to you to view in Zimbra. You can check and uncheck the calendar when ever you'd like.