Your Main Calendar
Every user has a main calendar named "Calendar." The main calendar has two special properties:
- It cannot be deleted.
- It cannot be synched with an .ics calendar.
As with all calendars you create, the default setting is to have your calendar viewable only by you, but if you wish, you can share it with others as described in the sharing calendars section below.
You can create additional calendars as well:
- Select "New Calendar" from the panel on the left of the Zimbra Calendar window and give it a name.
- You can choose a color for the calendar to distinguish its appointments from your other calendar's.
- If the appointments on this calendar will not be affecting your free/busy time, check the box to exclude them from it.
- If you would like the events on this calendar to be synchronized with a remote calendar, you can enter the URL.
While all internal users (i.e. Hampshire College Zimbra users) can view your free and busy time when trying to schedule an appointment with you, you must grant them the ability to look at your calendar more closely if you want them to see details.
- To access sharing options, right-click (or ctrl-click on a Mac) the calendar you want to share (it will be listed on the left hand pane in Zimbra), and select "Share Calendar."
- For internal (i.e. Hampshire College) users, there are three levels of sharing that you can choose to allow:
- Viewer: Read-only access to your calendar
- Manager: View, Edit, Add, Remove, Accept, Decline
- Admin: View, Edit, Add, Remove, Accept, Decline, Administer (Administer includes deciding sharing privileges for the calendar, for instance.)
- For external (non-Hampshire) selected users, you may allow viewing with a password that you provide.
- For public, unrestricted viewing, you can supply a URL that will allow anyone to view the calendar.
- If you share a calendar internally or externally (with the exception of public calendars), the user(s) you indicate will be sent an e-mail containing the URL to access the calendar, as well as the password if needed.
Adding Public Calendars (view only)
These instructions are for adding the academic/divisional calendar or the Hampshire Public Events calendar that is available on the intranet into your Zimbra account as a separate calendar. If there are other public (one that does not require a login) Intranet calendars you would like to add, please contact the Helpdesk and will send you the appropriate URL.
- In your Calendar tab in Zimbra, click on 'New Calendar' near the top left.
- In the name field, enter something like 'Academic' and choose a color for this calendar.
- Check the 'Exclude this calendar when reporting free/busy times' box and the 'Synchronize appointments from remote calendar' box.
- A URL box will become visible. Copy and paste one of these URLs into that box: Academic Calendar: https://intranet.hampshire.edu/calendar/thyme/remote/ical.php/12/Academi... Hampshire Public Events Calendar: https://intranet.hampshire.edu/calendar/thyme/remote/ical.php/1/Hampshir...
- Click OK
NOTE: The calendar will initially take a full minute or two to load, and you will receive a warning that the server is slow to respond. Be patient and do NOT click on the cancel request button. The warning will go away, and you will then have the Intranet calendar you chose available to you to view in Zimbra. You can check and uncheck the calendar when ever you'd like.