Zimbra is an integrated web calendar, contact, and email application. Faculty, staff and students use Zimbra for personal and departmental calendaring, making it easier to schedule appointments and meetings with colleagues. Some of the advantages that Zimbra calendar provides:
- Support for Mac OS, Windows, Linux.
- It's a web application, which provides universal access
- Automatic syncing with iOS and Android devices
- Sharing of calendars at the owner's discretion
- Visual representation of free/busy times for requested meeting attendees
- Syncing with .ics (including iCal) calendars
Zimbra has an email module built into it that is used to send messages when you invite people to meetings or share your calendar with them. At this time we are supporting Zimbra mail only for these uses. Please continue to use your regular Hampshire email for all other uses.
- Enter an IT ticket to have an account created if you are faculty or staff. Students should email their request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include their full preferred name and Hampshire username.
- Once your account is created, go to https://connect.hampshire.edu and log in using your standard Hampshire username and password. The first time you go to the Zimbra webpage you may receive a message about the security certificate; in this case, you should confirm the security exception.
Zimbra includes an email address, but at Hampshire we use that only for Zimbra alerts. When Zimbra accounts are created, we forward all Zimbra messages to the corresponding Hampshire email account so you will see the Zimbra messages right away. Please note that you cannot act upon a Zimbra notification that has been forwarded to your regular email account. You must accept or decline invitations, shares etc. using the original message in the Zimbra client email tab.
Be aware that Zimbra email addresses are a little different from regular Hampshire email addresses: They have "connect" added before "hampshire.edu"; for example, "kmmLO@connect.hampshire.edu." It's important that when you use Zimbra to invite people to meetings that you use their "connect" email addresses, not their regular email addresses.
Getting Help with Zimbra
Please use the links to the left to get started with using Zimbra. If you're interested in more thorough documentation, download the Zimbra users guide (pdf).
As with all software supported by IT, you can contact the IT help desk with any questions.