Event Production Support
Media Services provides limited support to academic and student group events. This includes operating or consulting for live sound and projection for lectures, panel discussions, screenings, performances, and dances. Media Services bills campus offices and student groups with a flat fee plus hourly rate, covering the costs of staff time and wear on equipment.
The majority of events on campus can successfully happen using preexisting installed presentation equipment, or possibly augmenting it with a loan from our collection. Currently enrolled Hampshire students, staff, and faculty with a valid ID can borrow an array of presentation equipment such as powered speakers, microphones, and digital projectors at no additional cost. Be sure to allow ample time to make training appointments during office hours and to reserve necessary equipment at least five days ahead of your event.
There are many factors such as budget, scale, and location as well as content and tenor of an event that can shape Media Services involvement, so be sure to get in touch early in the planning stages to see how we can help.
Event Production Support Policy
- Media Services only supports academic and student group events that happen on the Hampshire College campus.
- Requests for our services or equipment and consultation must be made at least five business days in advance of scheduled event. Media Services reserves the right to refuse service to those who do not comply with this policy.
- Patron must be present to manage talent (lecturer, artist, performer) and keep schedule during event. If patrons cannot be present, they must designate a liaison to do so.
- Media Services staff task is to make sure the event sounds and looks the way the patron requested.
- Patron must provide computer for presenter. IT can loan computers for events. Media Services does not loan computers or tablets.
- Event production support and recording are separate services and are billed accordingly. If staff hired to provide event production support is pulled away to provide unplanned recording, Media Services reserves the right to charge for that additional service.
Many spaces on campus are scheduled by the event services and summer programs office (ESSPO). Students, faculty, and staff can check availability and schedule a room through their reservation system. Check the two sections below for spaces installed with presentation equipment, and if their use necessitates staff support.
Almost every classroom and lecture hall on campus is outfitted with some type of self-service digital projector and accompanying sound system. Operating instructions can be found both at the space and online. If still unsure, contact IT to schedule a quick in person training on the equipment.
- FPH East and West Lecture Halls
- FPH Rooms 101-108
- FPH Faculty Lounge
- EDH Rooms 2, 4, and 5
- ASH 111, 221, and 222
- CSC 316, 333, 3rd Open and 2nd Open
Requiring Media Services
Patrons using these spaces with installed presentation equipment must contact Media Services to either staff their event or be trained and certified at least five days before the event.
- Main Lecture Hall
- Red Barn
Other spaces on campus, such as theaters, studios, and classrooms are under the management of their respective programs and subject to their policies and procedures.
Media Services offers limited recording support to capture academic events on campus. This includes audio or video recording, editing, and outputting for lectures, panel discussions, and performances. Media Services bills campus offices and student groups with a flat fee plus hourly rate, covering the costs of staff time and wear on equipment.
Many events on campus can easily be recorded by either the patrons themselves or with the help of a student already familiar with media production. Currently enrolled Hampshire students, staff, and faculty with a valid ID can borrow an array of media production equipment such as digital audio recorders, microphones, and lighting at no additional cost. Be sure to allow ample time to make training appointments during office hours and to reserve necessary equipment at least five days ahead of your event.
As with event production support, patrons interested in having their events recorded are encouraged to consult with Media Services staff ahead of their scheduled event to consider what level of support that their event calls for and to strategize what to do with the material once it is recorded.
Recording Services Policy
- Projects are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Media Services can accommodate no more than four recording projects a month.
- Depending on the project, turnaround time varies from 2-4 weeks.
- Patrons are responsible for providing their own storage space. Media Services does not archive all production materials.
- Recording quality is only as good as the space chosen and the level of production used for event. Media Services uses available light and sound to capture event in the least intrusive way.
- Recording and event production support are separate services and are billed accordingly. If staff hired to record an event are pulled away to provide unplanned event production support, Media Services reserves the right to charge for that additional service.
Rates and Fees
Media Services bills campus offices and student groups with a flat fee plus hourly rate, covering the costs of staff time and wear on equipment. We are currently awaiting approval of our new rates. Please email us for an estimate.
To arrange any of these services for your event please fill out this form.