Kurzweil 3000 and Firefly
- Hampshire has a site-wide license for Kurzweil 3000 and Firefly.
- Kurzweil 3000 is a complete reading (text-to-speech), writing, and study tool software package that runs on a Mac or PC computer.
- Kurzweil Firefly is a web-based text-to-speech and document storage system. Documents stored in your online Firefly account can be accessed through the Kurzweil 3000 software on your computer.
- You can use one or the other of these options, or both.
- For either option you need a Kurzweil account and login.
Registering for an Account
- Use this link to go to the Kurzweil Registration site (Hampshire login required).
- On the registration page, enter your name, your Hampshire email address, and choose Hampshire from the drop-down menu. Then. click “Add New”
- Note that if you do not use your Hampshire email to sign up, we will delete your account later!!
- A "Success" message with your Kurzweil username and password will display below. You will also get this information in a confirmation mail.
Installing the Kurzweil Software on Your Computer
- To install the Kurzweil 3000 desktop software on your computer, download the installer for Mac or download the installer for Windows.
- Note that the installer files are very large (around 2GB)- make sure you are on a high-speed, preferably wired, connection before you begin.
- Mac users may need to go into their their security settings within the system preferences to allow an installation from an “unidentified developer”.
Condensed Kurzweil Starter Guide for Mac
Getting Started Guide for Mac
Getting Started Guide for Windows
Kurzweil has how-videos about installing and using the software here.
For in-person help or training on using on Kurzweil, please fill out a Training Request form or email firstname.lastname@example.org.