Payments to Non-Immigrant Visitors

This page provides information for payments to a non-immigrant visitor for services provided to Hampshire College as an independent contractor. Examples of these types of services are: presenting a paper, serving as a panel member at a symposium, or giving a lecture. Non-immigrant visitors are defined as individuals who are in the United States for a short period of time, hold foreign tax residency, and are not employees of Hampshire College.

The United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS), formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) restrict the College's ability to make payments to non-immigrant visitors. To ensure that your foreign visitor can be paid legally and promptly, your cooperation is essential.

As early as possible once it has been decided to invite the potential visitor, collect IRS form W-8BEN from them, and forward this information to the appropriate person listed below.  They will determine  if the College is allowed to make payment.

Program or Purpose of Visit




Yaniris Fernandez

Global Education

Katie Irwin

All Other

Jill Ludkiewicz

Once the person has been approved, ask the purchasing office to create a vendor record by emailing the W-8BEN, name, mailing address and all other documentation given to you by Yaniris, Katie or Jill to

Also at this time, please forward the individual's name and email address to Controller Jill Ludkiewicz ( so a record can be entered into the Windstar program to determine whether tax withholding is necessary.

When it is time for payment to be made, send to accounts payable the following documents in the packet with the Request for Payment Form:

  • A copy of the contract between the non-immigrant visitor and the College (See contract template page)
  • A copy of the passport
  • A copy of the visa (this is a page in their passport)
  • A completed W-8 BEN Form
  • A copy of the immigration status data report
  • A copy of the I-94 (cards are no longer issued, but travelers can obtain a copy of the form at An I-94 form is encouraged, but not required.

Please direct questions about this process to Jill Ludkiewicz at extension 5450.