Housing Operations

Housing operations is located in the Dakin Student Life Center, on the second floor. The office staff includes the senior director of residence life and student engagement and the assistant director of housing operations, who are available to answer questions and assist students during business hours.

Housing Operations staff assigns all new students their rooms over the summer and manages all students' housing assignments throughout their enrollment at Hampshire College. The office handles all residential repair requests; keeps track of keys; helps monitor the health and safety of the residences; and keeps students informed of important dates and events related to housing.

Repair Requests
Housing Policies

Hours of Operation

Monday-Friday: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. (closed for lunch between noon and 1 p.m).

Lost Keys

If you lose your keys, come to the Housing Operations during our business hours (listed above) to sign out your back-up copy. If you lose your keys outside of business hours, call campus safety and security to be let into your room, then get your back-up keys during our business hours at your earliest convenience. Once you sign out your back-up you will have five days to locate your original keys and return the back-up to the Housing Operations. If you are unable to locate your keys, your locks will be changed, and you will be charged for the required parts and labor: $60 for a single room, $65 for a double, $100 for a mod entry, and $5 for a replacement lounge key.

Should I post a Daily Digest notice about lost keys? No. Unscrupulous people can do a little detective work and figure out where you live. If they have your keys they now have unrestricted access to your room. If you've found someone else's keys, please bring them to the HOO so we can return them to their owner.

Locked Out?

During business hours, please come to the Housing Operations to sign out your back up key (as described above). At all other times, call campus safety and security at 413.559.5424, and an officer will come to your room to let you in. You must show ID and sign a form. The first two lock-outs per year are free; after that, you will be charged $10 per lock-out.

Lost ID Card

It's in your best interest to head to the OneCard office (located on the third floor of the library), or email onecard@hampshire.edu to get your card replaced immediately. When a new OneCard is created, it automatically deactivates the old one, so no one can use your old card fraudulently. If you know where your card is (i.e., you left it at home/in your friend's car, etc.) you can sign out a temporary OneCard from the Housing Operations.

Should I post a Daily Digest notice about a lost ID card? No. There are spaces on campus where OneCards allow direct access to student's living space. As with lost keys, those unscrupulous people can figure out where you live, and now they have unrestricted access to that space. OneCards list the student's post office box number, so any found card can and should be dropped in the campus mail and returned to the owner (no postage necessary).