CBD Funding for Internship and Research Assistantship Placements
Did you know that you can apply to CBD for up to $3000 toward the cost of your internship or research assistantship placement? Since 2003, CBD has funded students to work with faculty right here at the Five Colleges, and has helped send students to placements across North America and in Africa, Asia, Europe, and India. CBD may be able to help you!
CBD offers funding for internship and research assistantship placements every summer. See our web page for examples of funded placements and internships.
For summer 2016 placements, the spring application deadline is not yet set. Please check back or email CBD for details.
2016 applications will be available soon, or you can email the CBD office at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application. Guidelines and application forms will also be available at the schools of Cognitive Sciences; Critical Social Inquiry; Humanities, Arts, and Cultural Studies; Interdisciplinary Arts; and Natural Sciences.
CBD will offer a grantwriting workshop in spring 2016. You are strongly encouraged to attend the workshop prior to submitting your application. You are also encouraged to speak with a CBD Steering Committee member, CBD director or the assistant director prior to submitting your proposal.
How to Apply for Funding
Find and secure an internship or lab/ field research assistantship placement:
- Contact the professor, researcher, volunteer organization, or NGO program for which you would like to work, and apply for a placement.
- Your placement can be with an accredited researcher or recognized non-profit anywhere in the world. You find it, secure a placement, and we may help fund it.
Consider your funding needs:
- CBD funding can cover up to $3,000 reimbursement toward travel and commuting costs, rent, some utilities, and placement-related research expenses.
- CBD funding cannot cover food and meal costs or stipends for those working at placements outside of Hampshire College.
- CBD cannot cover tuition or airfare for Hampshire College short-term field courses or for outside credit-granting summer programs
Take a look at the guidelines for CBD funding:
- Are you in good academic standing?
- Do your research goals for your placement involve engaging and better understanding connections across the studies of culture, mind/brain, and human growth and development?
- Will the work you do at your placement engage two of the three components of the study of culture, mind/brain, and human development?
- If you answered "yes" to these questions, CBD funding may be for you!
Still not sure if you should apply for CBD funding?
CBD Funding at Work
Louisa Smith 10F spent her summer working in a research lab studying neuroscience and music.
Watch video »