CBD Funding for Internship & Research Assistantship Placements
Since 2003, CBD has funded students to work with faculty right here at the Five Colleges, and has helped send students to placements across North and South America, Africa, Asia, Europe, and India. CBD may be able to help you!
CBD funds Division II and Division III projects and internships and placements, up to $1000.
***For summer 2021, college sponsorship of domestic travel for academic purposes only will be allowed. Students receiving this funding are expected to adhere to all quarantine or other travel requirements in both their destination and return locations. International college-sponsored travel is still suspended (exceptions will require presidential approval) and therefore funding may only support domestic travel expenses***
Download the application here, or email the CBD office for an application.
CBD Spring Grant applications are due Monday, April 12, at noon.
CBD offers a grants info session every fall and spring. The Spring Grants Info Session is Monday, March 22, 4:30-5:30 p.m., via Zoom. Check the Daily Digest or email CBD to get the link.
You are strongly encouraged to attend the session prior to submitting your application. You are also encouraged to speak with a CBD steering committee member, or the CBD director prior to submitting your proposal.
How to Apply for Funding
Find and secure an internship or lab/field research assistantship placement:
- Contact the professor, researcher, volunteer organization, or NGO program for which you would like to work, and apply for a placement.
- Your placement can be with an accredited researcher or recognized non-profit anywhere in the world. You find it, secure a placement, and we may help fund it.
Consider your funding needs:
- CBD funding can cover up to $1,000 reimbursement toward travel and commuting costs, rent, some utilities, and placement-related research expenses.
- CBD funding cannot cover food and meal costs or stipends for those working at placements outside of Hampshire College.
- CBD cannot cover tuition or airfare for Hampshire College short-term field courses or for outside credit-granting summer programs.
Take a look at the guidelines for CBD funding:
- Are you in good academic standing?
- Do your research goals for your placement involve engaging and better understanding connections across the studies of culture, mind/brain, and human growth and development?
- Will the work you do at your placement engage two of the three components of the study of culture, mind/brain, and human development?
- If you answered "yes" to these questions, CBD funding may be for you!
Still not sure if you should apply for CBD funding?