You are here:
Depending on your visa status, certain eligibility requirements, timelines, and options apply. Please be sure to read the information thoroughly and contact the office of multicultural and international student services with any questions.
You need a Social Security number in order to get paid for employment. You cannot start employment until you have a Social Security number (or a receipt of application). In order for students to receive paid employment, they are required by law to obtain a Social Security number. F-1 students must secure a job before they can apply for a Social Security number. J-1 students do not need to have a job secured, but must receive work authorization from the global education office first.
STEPS for Applying for an SSN:
Note: F-1 students are only eligible to apply for an SSN card once a job offer is secured.
Once you have a job:
1. Ask your supervisor to print the "Employer Letter" (MUST BE PRINTED ON HAMPSHIRE LETTERHEAD) and complete/sign the document.
2. Gather the following documents. You must have your original documents and photocopies of each document.
In item 16, "Mailing Address," write:
c/o Human Resources, Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002
3. Take your documents (originals and copies) to the University of Massachusetts (date and location below). The University of Massachusetts will have the Social Security office on their campus to take applications. Make sure you ask the SSA officer at the University of Massachusetts session to sign and date the SSN Application Receipt.
Important: DO NOT FORGET that you MUST ask the SSA officer to sign your SSN Application Receipt for your application.
4. Submit your SSN Application Receipt to the student employment office, located on the first floor of Blair Hall. This will allow you to get paid while you wait for your Social Security card to arrive in the mail.
5. Wait to receive your SSN card in the mail. Immediately upon receipt present the SSN to Janel Johnson for her to photocopy.
6. Once your card is received by Hampshire's human resources office, you will be contacted to pick it up.
There are two ways to apply:
1.The University of Massachusetts will have the Social Security office on their campus to take applications. Remember to bring your original documents and photocopies, as a photocopier is not guaranteed to be on-site.
Date: Monday, September 25, 2017Hours: 9:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m.Location: Campus Center Room 163
Directions to the University of MassachusettsBy PVTA bus: Directions using public transport or use the PVTA website for more information.By car: Driving directions.
Note: We highly recommend that you attend one of these sessions, since it is early in the school year and may be the least "waiting in line time."
2.Apply on your own at the Holyoke Social Security Administration (SSA) office:
Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., or Wednesday, 9 a.m.-NoonAddress: 200 High Street
Holyoke, MA 01040
By PVTA bus: Directions using public transport or use the PVTA website for more information.By car: Driving directions.
Note: Wait times vary and can sometimes take up to two hours.