Wild flowers

Housing Exemption for Domestic Partnerships

Students may live off campus if they are legally married, as one of the three "automatic exemption" criteria. Students who are not legally married may also qualify for off-campus status under the same category, if they can meet both of the following criteria:

1. Produce the notarized Domestic Partnership Affidavit, a legally witnessed statement that the two signers have been involved in a serious, committed relationship for a minimum of the previous 12 months. 

2. Produce evidence of at least two of the following options:

     A. Joint bank account or joint credit card account;

     B. Assignment of a Health Care Proxy, life insurance benefits, or participation in a joint health care plan;

     C. Lease for at least six months for the couple;

     D. Statement of witness by the presider over a ceremony of commitment, or a notarized statement of witness to the length and commitment of the relationship by a parent or unrelated adult who is not a Hampshire student.

Please fill out the Off Campus Application, and submit the appropriate forms and documentation to the Housing Office, Box MH, Hampshire College, Amherst, MA 01002-5001. 

Stay In Touch
With Housing
Snail Mail
Housing Operations Office
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002