Software Available at Hampshire
Campus-wide coverage for Hampshire-owned machines
- Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project
- Zimbra Calendar
- ESET Anti-virus
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Acrobat, After Effects, Illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop, and others)
- Kurzweil 3000
Limited licenses for use on Hampshire-owned machines
- Apple: Final Cut Studio
- Apple: iLife (iTunes, iPhoto, etc)
- Apple: iWork (Pages, Keynote)
- Filemaker Pro
- Microsoft Visio
Available in specific labs on campus
- Autodesk: Maya (CS and IA/DART Lab)
- Softimage (IA/DART Lab)
- Shake (CS)
- Minitab (NS)
- ArcGIS/ArcView (NS)
Contact the help desk to request any of the above software or to find out where to access it. Requests for software not listed above are handled on a case-by-case basis.
Software for Personal Computers
- Microsoft Office 365 is free for current Hampshire faculty, staff, and students. Please visit Office 365 for Education to sign up.
- Adobe Creative Cloud subscriptions are available at significant discounts for current students. Please visit our software reseller's webstore OnTheHub. Please be sure to sign in to view the appropriate software discounts.
- Students, faculty, and staff can also purchase additional software with an educational discount using links on our Tech Discounts Intranet page (login required).
Open Source Software
Free software, popularly marketed as "open source software" is free as in "freedom" of speech, not just as in "free beer." Free software isn't owned by any one company; it's a collaborative project often worked on by many programmers, and often under constant revision. These are free software programs we like, but be sure to check the Free Software Directory and osalt.com (Open Source as Alternative) for a comprehensive list.
Office/Productivity (Alternatives to Microsoft Office)
- Gimp Photo editing
- ImageJ Photo editing
- Paint.net Photo editing (PC Only)
- Scribus Desktop Publishing
- ChemSketch Chem Draw alternative. Not open source, but free for education.
- HEC-RAS HEC-RAS allows you to perform one-dimensional steady flow, unsteady flow, sediment transport/mobile bed computations, and water temperature modeling.
- R Statistical computing and graphics.
- PSPP statistical analysis alternative to SPSS
- Serial Cloner Light molecular biology software
- 4Peaks Mac OS X application for viewing and editing sequence trace files
Multimedia and Audio
- CDBurnerXP CD and DVD burning software (PC only)
- Putty Terminal/SSH
- WinSCP File Transfer
- Cyberduck FTP
Tutorials and Tips
We have tutorials and tips for the most commonly used software at Hampshire.