See our planning for 2020–21.

Hampshire College binder with papers

Registering with OARS

Students can disclose a disability and request accommodations at any point during their academic careers at Hampshire. Accommodations cannot be applied retroactively, however, so it is strongly encouraged that students engage in the disclosure and accommodation approval process as soon as possible to allow reasonable time to implement accommodations.


If you would like to learn more about the accommodation request process or do not have diagnosed disabilities, but think you might be struggling with disability-related functional limitations and have questions about getting assessed or diagnosed, OARS staff can meet to discuss appropriate academic strategies, possible temporary accommodations, and how to seek a diagnosis and documentation. Contact OARS to schedule a consultation appointment (usually 30 minutes; options for in-person, over the phone or via video chat).

Disclosing a Disability

To be considered for disability-related accommodations, you need to follow three easy steps to engage in an interactive process to determine reasonable accommodations for your disability.

  1. Self-Report: Completing our "Self-Report for Disability Disclosure" online form enables you to tell us more about yourself, the barriers you are currently facing or have faced in the past, your history of accommodation, and the accommodations you would like to request.

    Submit self-report

    1. This form serves as a starting point from which to reflect on your strengths, successes, barriers, and challenges; what's worked and what hasn't.
    2. If you'd prefer to review these questions in-person, verbally or otherwise, you can do so by scheduling a meeting with OARS staff anytime!
  2. Supporting Documentation:
    1. Every student must work with a treating professional to complete a Supporting Documentation Form for Care Providers.
      1. Form for Care Providers (PDF), Form for Care Providers (WORD)
      2. If you or your provider have questions, refer to our Documentation Guidelines (PDF).
    2. If you are requesting an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), you and your provider must also complete an ESA Supplement (PDF)/ESA Supplement (WORD)
  3. Intake Appointment: Once your file is complete* for review, students will be contacted to schedule an intake appointment (usually 1 hour) to meet with OARS staff to discuss the accommodations for which they are approved and other support recommendations. You will have a chance to ask any questions about your documentation and why accommodations were approved or denied, and to explore and understand any other support services available at Hampshire.
    1. You may ask that your documentation be reconsidered or you can submit additional supporting documentation if you were not granted a specific accommodation.
    2. Once approved for accommodations, you will be eligible to receive these accommodations throughout your time at Hampshire; unless you take substantial time off, accommodations are approved on a temporary basis, or your disability and/or functional limitation changes.

*Completed files are reviewed most Wednesday mornings during the regular semester. All necessary elements of your file must be submitted by 4 p.m. the previous business day (Tuesday) in order for your file to be reviewed and an intake to be scheduled.

Academic Accommodations

Students may request accommodations related to academics at any point in their academic career. Academic accommodations relate primarily to:

  • The exam environment.
  • In-class related to how one receives, captures, and processes information or expresses ideas and conveys understanding.
  • Outside of class.

Housing Accommodations

Once you have completed our disclosure process above, if you are requesting housing-based accommodations, OARS will work directly with the housing operations office (HOO) to ensure your accommodation are considered in the placement process.

  • Please navigate to our Housing Accommodation Page to learn more about timelines and read our FAQs for requesting housing accommodations.
  • Returning students who have already completed the initial disclosure process and are requesting housing accommodations in subsequent years do not need to complete the self-report or resubmit supporting documentation. Please only complete the housing supplement.

Temporary Accommodations

If you are in need of accommodations based on a short-term illness or injury, please utilize the disclosure process above and see our Temporary Accommodation Page for more information.


The decision to disclose a disability to the College is wholly voluntary. You may not, however, receive an accommodation from the College without such disclosure and providing appropriate supporting information and documentation. The information provided by you will be treated as confidential and will be disclosed by the College only as necessary for it to assess or implement your requested services or accommodations. Students are legally considered to be adults. Communication of confidential information with parents or professionals regarding disabilities must be authorized by the student.

Stay In Touch
With The Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS)
Snail Mail
Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS)
Mail Code AC
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002