Registering with OARS

OARS Staff are aware that when you come here you need to have your accommodations ready on the first day of classes. If you are receiving housing accommodations those are ideally completed before you reach campus.

The best possible scenario is that you are coming to school in the fall/spring and you send in your documentation in the summer/winter. We have completed your file and your accommodations are in place so that you can have a letter in your hand on the first day of classes.

Students can, however, register with OARS at any point during their academic careers. Once approved, the OARS staff will support your advocacy around implementing these accommodations. Once approved for accommodations, you are entitled to those accommodations throughout the Five College Consortium throughout your time at Hampshire. The circumstances in which this might not be true would be if you take substantial time off, if your accommodations are initially approved on a temporary basis, or if your disability and/or functional limitation changes.

How to Register for Accommodations

To be considered for disability-related accommodations, you need to follow three easy steps:

  1. Submit Self-Report: Completing our "Accommodation Request" form through Guardian enables you to tell us more about yourself, the barriers you are currently facing or have faced in the past, your history of accommodations, and the accommodations you would like to request.
    • This form serves as a starting point from which to reflect on your strengths, successes, barriers, and challenges; what's worked and what hasn't.
    • Because this system is used with offices across campus, some of the language on the form will sound off. As long as you choose the "Report or Form Type" for "Accommodation Request," you're in the right place!
    • If you'd prefer to review these questions in-person, verbally or otherwise, you can do so by scheduling a meeting with OARS staff anytime!
  2. Supporting Documentation: Every student must work with a professional care provider to complete a Supporting Documentation Form for Care Providers. You can submit one of the two forms below, or if you have any documentation verifying your diagnosis you may submit that instead. You can submit documentation with your self-report via guardian, or mail it to us at Hampshire College OARS, 893 West ST. Amherst, MA 01002. If you or your provider have questions, refer to our Documentation Guidelines (PDF)
    • If you are requesting any accommodation, you must have a professional care provider complete a Form for Care Providers (PDF)
    • If you are requesting an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), you and your provider must instead complete an ESA Packet (PDF)
  3. One-on-One Appointment (Optional): Once your file is complete for review, you will be notified via email of your accommodations. You can reply to this email to schedule an intake appointment (usually lasting 1 hour) in which you would meet with an OARS staff member to discuss your accommodations and support recommendations. Here you will have a chance to ask any questions about your documentation and why accommodations were approved or denied, and to explore and understand any other support services available at Hampshire.

Implementing Accommodations

Once the registration process is complete (you have turned in a self-report and medical documentation) you will receive a letter from OARS outlining the accommodations that you have been approved for. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the approved accommodations check-in with an OARS staff member. These are the accommodations that will be listed in your academic, housing, dining, or ESA accommodation letter.

Academic accommodation letters are automatically sent via email to students or their faculty at the start of each semester. Accommodation letters should be forwarded to the faculty who should signed it and  returned to OARS. This form is a contract between the college and the student. This accommodation form should only be signed by both when both are satisfied with the plan to implement accommodations in the course. 

Academic Accommodations

Students may request accommodations related to academics at any point in their academic career. Academic accommodations relate primarily to:

  • In-class related to how one receives, captures, and processes information or expresses ideas and conveys understanding.
  • Work outside of class.
  • The exam environment (Five Colleges).
  • Assistive Technology

Five College Classes

Hampshire students taking Five College Courses

Hampshire College students that are enrolled in a Five College course and would like to receive accommodations must fill out the Request for Five College Accommodations Form and turn it into Once your form is received by OARS the director reaches out to staff from the 5 College Access Offices. In turn the Five College Access Offices will send out their accommodation form to their faulty and/or departments. Secondly, you are now allotted the services of the Accessibility Office on the campus you are attending.

Five College Students taking Courses at Hampshire

Any Five College student with a disability enrolled in a Hampshire College course is expected to turn their Five College Accommodation Request Form to OARS. You'll need to meet briefly with a member of the OARS staff to process your accommodation forms and learn how accommodations are implemented at Hampshire. Please contact OARS at and provide your name, student ID, home campus and availability to meet remotely. OARS staff will discuss your accommodation and send accommodation forms to instructors and contact any other relevant departments.

Housing Accommodations

You can start the housing accommodation process by requesting changes through the Office of Residence Life. If that change requires formal accommodations, you will be asked to register with us through the above process. Once you have registered with us, we will send your housing accommodation letter to the Office of Residence Life, who will set you up with compatible living arrangements as soon as possible.

Temporary Accommodations

If you are in need of accommodations based on a short-term illness or injury, please utilize the disclosure process above and see our Temporary Accommodation Page for more information.


The decision to disclose a disability to the College is wholly voluntary. You may not, however, receive an accommodation from the College without such disclosure and providing appropriate supporting information and documentation. The information provided by you will be treated as confidential and will be disclosed by the College only as necessary for it to assess or implement your requested services or accommodations. Students are legally considered to be adults. Communication of confidential information with parents or professionals regarding disabilities must be authorized by the student.