International Student Employment

On-Campus Employment

  • F-1 students are only authorized to work on-campus for up to an accumulative 20 hours/week while school is in session and can work up to 40 hours/week during vacation periods.
    *Note: You must keep track of your own hours. The student employment office and international student services will not monitor this for you.
  • For detailed information about eligibility, where you can work, and what documentation is required, read our On-Campus Employment page.

Off-Campus Work

  • Any "off-campus work" requires advising and/or authorization from international student services prior to the first day of work.
  • "Off-campus work" includes any paid work, paid internships, unpaid internships, volunteering, and any compensation-based pursuits (compensation includes but is not limited to training, experience, academic credit, paid travel/food, etc.); even activities done as CEL-2 or obtained through SPARC, CPSC, CYL, or any other campus office may count as an off-campus work or volunteer activity.
  • Think of it this way: If you are leaving campus (or have connected with someone/an organization that you will continue to be associated with through phone, email, or other means of distance-based communication) in order to participate in an activity wherein any of the following apply: title; duties; responsibility for the completion of tasks; reporting to an off-campus supervisor that oversees the completion of your activities; and/or are planning on including this activity in either your resume or transcripts, you must speak with staff in international student services first to see if you need authorization, and if so, apply accordingly.
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Social Security Number (SSN)

  • In order to receive payment for any work done you must at least need to have applied for a SSN.