- F-1 students are ONLY authorized to work on campus for up to an accumulated 20 hours/week while school is in session; and more during vacation periods.
- F-1 students are eligible for on-campus employment if it is part of their Hampshire financial aid award.
- To confirm if a job opening is considered "work-study," read through the employment opportunities on the Student Employment website and/or contact Janel Johnson in the Student Employment office.
Where can I work?
- "On campus" includes all of the Five Colleges (Hampshire, Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, and the University of Massachusetts). See on-campus job listings here. Note: If you choose to work at one of the other 4 campuses, the work must be related to your studies, and you will need to obtain an authorization from the MISS office prior to beginning employment. Stop by the MISS office to pick up the authorization form.
- Any off-campus work, including paid and unpaid internships, requires authorization from the MISS office PRIOR to the first day of work. Refer to the MISS website for more information and send any questions to O.C. at rgSA@hampshire.edu.
I got a job; now what? BEFORE your first day of work you MUST
- Submit any applicable work papers (may include I-9 form, W-4, M-4, Work Contract, etc.) to the student employment office on the first floor of Blair Hall. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT DOCUMENTS, IF ANY, NEED TO BE SUBMITTED, please contact Janel Johnson in the student employment office.
- Apply for a Social Security number (SSN) if you don't already have one. In order to receive payment for any work done, you must apply for an SSN. SSN application and instructions can be found here.