Transferring Your SEVIS Record from Another U.S. School

If you are currently at another U.S. school or will be studying in an English language program before coming to Hampshire College, you will need to transfer your SEVIS record. Your existing F-1 or J-1 student record must be transferred from the institution you now attend to Hampshire College.

There are several advantages of transferring your SEVIS record:

  1. This procedure is completed within the U.S. You do not have to depart and re-enter as long as your classes here start within 5 months of the end date of your current program.
  2. Transfer of your SEVIS record also allows you to use your current F-1 or J-1 visa if it hasn't expired.
  3. You do not have to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee again, since you have the same SEVIS number.
  4. You are immediately eligible for on-campus employment at Hampshire College once you receive your I-20 or DS-2019 from Hampshire College. If you have been enrolled full-time at your previous institution for at least one academic year, you may also immediately be eligible to apply for off-campus work authorization under CPT or academic training.

A "transfer" of your F-1 or J-1 status means to go from one educational institution in the U.S. to another, continuing in F-1 or J-1 status. This includes going from an English language institute or high school study to Hampshire College.

What to do: To transfer your SEVIS record, you and your current international student advisor must complete the International Student Transfer-in Form. To request for a form, please email us (International Student Services) at Please consult with your current international student adviser regarding the transfer date.

Please communicate with our office to make sure we receive the transfer-in form and are aware that you need to transfer your SEVIS record. You can email international student services at