Students talking

Massachusetts ID and License

Massachusetts ID

Obtaining a Massachusetts ID is not required, although if you want to avoid having to provide additional proof of identification when in stores or having to carry your passport as identification when you write a check in a store, you may want to consider applying for a Massachusetts ID card. An ID card and driver’s license (required if you plan on driving while in the U.S.) can be obtained through a Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) branch office. Note: In order to apply for a state ID/license, you need to have a Social Security number and pay a fee of $25.

You can begin the ID application process online at the Registry of Motor Vehicles website. Visit this site to learn more about Massachusetts ID requirements, decide between a Standard and REAL ID, and start your ID application.

There are two RMV offices near Hampshire College:

Easthampton RMV
116 Pleasant Street
Easthampton, MA 01027


Greenfield RMV
18 Miner Street
Greenfield, MA 01301

For RMV branch office information (office hours, wait times, services, fees, directions, etc.) please visit: Scroll to the bottom and click on the branch you want information on.

Documents needed to apply for state ID (All must be originals):

  1. Completed ID application form,
  2. Passport
  3. Printed I-94  from
  4. Hampshire ID card (OneCard)
  5. Social Security card
  6. $25.00 to pay for the application (you may pay with a credit card, cash, or a check made out to "Registry of Motor Vehicles")
  7. If you live off campus, a bill or letter with your name and address on it.
  8. If you live on campus, a letter provided by the residential life with your mod/dorm address. You can request the letter by emailing or stop by to see her in the HOO office in Merrill.
  9. A letter provided by the international student advisor at MISS that will confirm your full-time student status and Social Security number. You can request the letter by emailing
  10. Proof of signature. See acceptable forms,

A checklist of approved documents can be found on the RMV website, or downloaded here.

NOTE ABOUT SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS: You must apply for a Social Security number before you can apply for a Massachusetts ID or permit/license. You will be required to provide either:
a) A Social Security card OR
b) A Denial Notice from the SSA. If you present a Denial Notice, you must also present proof of acceptable visa status, an I-94 (Record of Arrival and Departure), and a current non-U.S. Passport.

Massachusetts Liquor ID

NOTE: You must have a Massachusetts liquor ID if you want to use it to prove that you are of legal drinking age (21). The Massachusetts state ID card will not work for that purpose. You will need to use the same application form to apply for the Massachusetts liquor ID. The application fee is $25.00.

Massachusetts Learner's Permit

Note: It is recommended that you review the Driver License Manual before visiting the RMV. The fee for an initial permit is $30.

After acquiring your permit and taking driving lessons, you will be eligible for a road test ($35). You will need to schedule your road test, and if you successfully pass this test the RMV will issue you a driver's license. The license issuance fee is $50 and is valid for 5 years. You can find the application form at

Using a Foreign Driver's License

The RMV indicates that "if a student has a home country license, he or she is allowed to drive in Massachusetts for one year from the date of entry if the license was issued by a country that has signed the Road Traffic Convention of 1949. Check Appendix A of the Driver's Manual to see which countries are included.

Driving Schools

If you don't know how to drive, you will need to contact a local driving school and arrange to take driving lessons. 

Stay In Touch
With The Dean of Students Office
Snail Mail
Dean of Students Office
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002