See our planning for 2020–21.

Enfield housing area

Travel and Lodging

Detailed information on the policy regarding reimbursement for expenses incurred while traveling on business for the College can be found in the Travel and Expense Reimbursement Policy.

Domestic Air Travel

Travelers are expected to book the lowest priced coach class airfare available. Business class and first class domestic travel will not be reimbursed unless the request for reimbursement is accompanied by a letter from the vice president for finance and administration explaining the bona fide medical reasons or extenuating circumstances that require such service.

Similarly, flight insurance, seat upgrades, and premium boarding upgrades will not be reimbursed unless the request for reimbursement is accompanied by a letter from the vice president for finance and administration explaining the bona fide medical reasons or extenuating circumstances that require such service.

The last page of the airline ticket (passenger receipt) must be retained and submitted as the receipt for the trip. For electronic tickets, please submit the web page receipt or confirmation letter that is mailed to the traveler.

Federal regulations prohibit the charging of business or first class air travel to federally sponsored projects. They also prohibit the inclusion in indirect costs of the differential between a coach class fare and a business or first class fare.

Fare Upgrades

The cost of an upgrade in class is not permitted. A free upgrade must be noted as such on the travel and reimbursement report.

Frequent Flyer Programs

The College will not reimburse travelers nor acknowledge a gift-in-kind donation resulting from tickets purchased with frequent flyer miles because it is difficult to determine the dollar value of these tickets. Frequent flyer memberships should not influence travelers to select a flight that is not the lowest priced flight available.

Lost or Excess Baggage

The airlines are responsible for compensating the owners of lost baggage. The College will not reimburse travelers for personal items lost or costs to recover items lost or stolen while traveling on business.

Employees will be reimbursed for excess baggage charges only in the following circumstances:

  • When traveling with heavy or bulky materials or equipment necessary for business.
  • When traveling for more than ten consecutive days.

Defensive Driving

All faculty, staff, and student drivers must be credentialed annually. In addition, student drivers must take an in-person safety class.

Rental Cars

Travelers may rent a car to their destination when:

  • A College-pooled vehicle is unavailable for the time period required.
  • Driving is more convenient than airline or rail travel.
  • Driving is necessary to transport large or bulky material.

Travelers may rent a car at their destination when:

  • It is less expensive than other transportation modes such as taxis, airport limousines, and airport shuttles.

When traveling on College business, travelers may rent a car up to and including a mid-size vehicle with standard equipment. Travelers are responsible for rental costs of upgrades beyond approved car class unless the upgrade is at no extra cost to the College or the additional space is required for transporting materials. Travelers should ensure that the vehicle is rented in the name of the Trustees of Hampshire College with their own names as a secondary reference. Car insurance should be declined within the U.S. and Canada and must be accepted in all other countries. Never rent a vehicle valued in excess of $30,000.

In the case of an accident, the driver must complete the appropriate accident report and claim documents with the College's insurance provider. The following information should be obtained at the time of the accident: (1) name and address of each driver, passenger, and witness, (2) name of insurance company and policy number for each vehicle involved.

Reimbursable costs include the daily rental fee, mileage fee, gasoline charges, tolls, and authorized insurance charges. Travelers should check with the rental car agent for any last-minute specials or free upgrades. Tickets, fines, and traffic violations are not reimbursable.

Travelers are responsible for canceling rental car reservation and must contact either the travel agency or the rental car company. Travelers should request and record the cancellation number in case of billing disputes.

Authorized Rental Car Drivers

All individuals who intend to drive the rented vehicle must be listed with the rental agency for insurance purposes. Only Hampshire College employees are covered under the College's insurance plan. Spouses, friends, and other non-employees listed as drivers are covered only under insurance provided by the rental company or under the drivers' personal automobile insurance and will not be reimbursed by the College.

Student Rental Car Drivers

Students authorized by the department to use a rental car must:

  • Have advance written approval from the budget manager.
  • Be listed as an authorized driver on the rental contract.
  • Meet the rental company's minimum age requirement.

Budget managers assume fiscal responsibility for any physical damage deductibles that may be incurred by staff or students driving rental vehicles

Use of a Personal Car

For personal convenience, travelers may use their personal cars for transportation and be reimbursed the mileage allowance, plus tolls and parking. The College will reimburse transportation costs to the extent such costs exceed the individual's normal daily commute to the office. The reimbursement rate is 56 cents per mile (starting 1/1/21). The travel and reimbursement form should include the names of any other College individuals traveling as passengers and, for convenience, may list the joint expense incurred if reimbursement is requested from the same department account. The College does not reimburse for the personal use of a vehicle used to travel between Hampshire College offices or locations.

Costs for repairs or damages to a traveler's private automobile while traveling on College business are considered the personal expenses of the owner. No reimbursement will be made for parking or traffic violation fines; such fines are the individual's responsibility. Full reimbursement for the use of a personal vehicle is made through the standard mileage allowance.

Lodging/Hotel Reservations

Lodging costs should be kept to a minimum. The College normally will only reimburse for single room rates at moderately priced hotels. Many hotels offer conference, corporate, or educational rates, which should be used if savings result. In most U.S. cities, the rate is $200 or less per night. In major U.S. cities such as Boston, Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C., the rate will range from $250 to $300 per night. Except for conference hotels, rates above these levels must be approved by the appropriate senior officer. When traveling on federal projects, travelers should request the hotel's government rate. A letter from the sponsored project is sometimes required upon check in.

Hotel Cancellation Procedures

It is the traveler's responsibility to notify either the hotel or the agency with which the reservation was made to cancel a room reservation. Travelers should remember that cancellation deadlines are based on the local time at the destination hotel. Travelers should request and record the cancellation number in case of billing disputes.

Travel Reimbursement Form (pdf)

Mileage Work Sheet (pdf)

Missing Receipt Affidavit Form (pdf)

Stay In Touch
With Accounts Payable
Snail Mail
Accounts Payable
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002