student in media lab

Procedures for Filing for Field Study

The process of filing for field study should begin about six weeks into the term preceding the field study.

  • Field study forms are available from the Center for Academic Support and Advising.
  • A meeting with the advisor (Division II or Division III chair) who
    will be supervising the work during the field study should occur
    at an early stage. If this is a Division III field study, this planning
    meeting must be followed by a meeting with one of the deans in
    the Center for Academic Support and Advising.
  • After the project has been planned, it must be put into written
    form. A copy of the Division II concentration statement or a
    preliminary Division III plan should be attached. A
    written agreement between the student and the faculty supervisor
    outlining the obligations each is willing to undertake is an
    important part of the form. A statement about how and when the
    work will be evaluated should also be included.
  • Filing for field study requires the signature of the following people:
    academic advisor, the housing coordinator; the manager of student
    ; the director of financial aid (for financial aid students);
    the director of global education (for students traveling outside the
    United States); and, finally, a dean at the Center for Academic
    Support and Advising.

The enrollment notification deadline is listed each year in the online academic calendar and with tuition information on the student financial services website. If plans are not definite or if a signature is missing, the form should still be submitted by the deadline and an appointment made with a CASA staff member the following week. Occasionally a student will find that her or his plans cannot be finalized until later in the term or during the summer. The student should file a preliminary field study form by the deadline and meet with a member of CASA in order to discuss the situation.

Any field study or exchange for which final approval has not been received will be canceled.

International Students

International students must consult with the international student advisor at regarding visa implications of field study. The advisor is located in the Lebrón-Wiggins-Pran Cultural Center.


Stay In Touch
With The Center for Academic Support and Advising (CASA)
Snail Mail
Center for Academic Support and Advising (CASA)
Mail Code AC
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002