Field Study

Students going on field study may be eligible for assistance from Hampshire College in the form of a field study grant. Students enrolled in a program of study abroad approved for credit by Hampshire College may be considered enrollment at Hampshire for the purpose of applying for Title IV federal aid as well as state and institutional aid.

Hampshire charges one-sixth of the annual tuition to all students going on field study. Current financial aid is neither transferable nor automatically available for field study; students must apply for field study aid.

The process begins by completing all of the forms required for a regular financial aid application. You must also submit the Field Study Budget form that is available from our office, or click here to print the form. The amount of your field study grant will be determined by the information you provided on your financial aid application and the field study budget form.

Tuition at another institution or program is not eligible for Hampshire assistance. You and your family will have to cover that amount. The other expenses associated with your field study project will be reviewed individually. You cannot receive more aid while on field study than you receive to be enrolled. Because the cost of field study is usually less than the cost to attend Hampshire, students usually qualify for less aid.

The maximum field study grant you can receive from Hampshire funds is the amount of our field study tuition. This maximum amount includes any Hampshire College merit scholarship you have received. Example #1, if the field study tuition is $8,500 and you have a $5,000 merit scholarship, the maximum field study grant you could receive would be $3,500, if eligible.  Example #2, if the field study fee is $8,500 and the merit scholarship is $10,000 for the semester, the merit scholarship would be reduced to $8,500 which is the maximum amount of grant funds allowed during a field study semester. The field study grant would not be available in this example. The difference of $1,500 can not be awarded in a future semester.

Any version of the Hampshire Grant and the Community Scholarship are not available for field study. You can use your Federal Pell grant, state grant, any outside scholarships, and your student loan to assist with the payment of the field study fee and other expenses of your field study project. The SEOG and the Mass Gilbert awards are not available for field study. A parent may borrow a Federal Parent PLUS loan for field study expenses. Parent tuition benefits may or may not apply to field study; your parent should check with their employer's human resources office for eligibility and to inquire about the amount of the benefits since the amount of the tuition will be lower. You cannot receive more aid than your approved total field study budget.

Students are not eligible for work study during a field study semester. Students who go on field study for the spring term must not earn more than their fall work study award; these funds must be earned while enrolled during the fall. Students who return to Hampshire for the spring term are packaged with one semester of work study eligibility for that academic year and these funds must be earned during the spring term.

For those students who plan to take a field study during the spring term, please note that we are notified by late November that you are changing your enrollment status. At this point we will remove any spring awards that are not applicable for a field study semester, including the spring term work study award.

All of your financial aid awards will be applied to your student account at Hampshire. If your aid overpays your Hampshire bill, you will have a credit balance that you can access as a refund to help pay for your field study expenses. You should contact the student accounts office to determine if you have a credit and how to obtain it. No refunds are issued until after the semester begins at Hampshire, so you may have to pay some of your expenses up front and get reimbursed with your refund later.

If you are participating in another school's program, you will receive a bill from them in addition to your bill from Hampshire as mentioned above. You are responsible for satisfying the bill from the other school. You can use any refund to help meet their bill, but you must make payment arrangements directly with them. If you are attending another school as part of your field study, that school may need to complete a consortium agreement. If the consortium agreement is required, we will notify and send you the form to your Hampshire email account.

A fall field study: Complete your regular aid application and your field study budget form by May 1. We will determine your aid as soon as possible so you may plan accordingly.

A spring field study: Complete your regular aid application and submit your field study budget form by December 1. We will determine your aid as soon as possible. If you were enrolled for the fall term and received financial aid we will determine your spring term aid and send you a revised award letter.

It is important for you to have a contact person (usually a parent) who should also have your power of attorney to sign documents for you and to arrange finances and payments in your absence. This is also important if financial aid application materials need to be submitted while you are away.