student in media lab

Applying for Field Study

Students doing semester equivalent academic work off campus or abroad that is NOT an exchange (Hampshire-sponsored) program must file to be on field study by the appropriate enrollment notification deadline.

Hampshire Enrollment Notification Deadlines

  • Spring term 2017: Friday, November 11, 2016
  • Fall term 2017: Friday, April 7, 2017

Filing for Field Study at Hampshire

  • Field study forms are available from the Center for Academic Support and Advising (CASA)
  • The Procedures for Filing for Field Study are also available through CASA.
  • Students going abroad for international field study are required to make an appointment with the global education office to discuss field study plans and get a staff signature. The following materials and information are required in order to receive a signature of approval:
    • Completed Field Study Application (CASA) and detailed program information
    • Completed Travel Waiver (CASA)
    • Completed online travel registry profile in HampGOES (Hampshire’s Global Experience System)
    • Copy of the front page of your passport
    • Proof of international health insurance coverage (see Health and Safety for more information)

Program Specific Deadlines and Requirements

Many field study programs (including applying to an overseas university, a study abroad program provider, or internship program) will have their own application requirements and deadlines. These steps can be completed before or after Hampshire’s Enrollment Notification deadline. 

Applications often include the following:

  • Application form
  • Personal statement
  • Official transcript
  • Letter(s) of recommendation
  • "Institutional Approval Form" or "Study Abroad Adviser Approval Form." This form should typically be completed by global education office staff, not a faculty adviser
  • Application fee
Stay In Touch
With The Global Education Office (GEO)
Snail Mail
Global Education Office
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002
Phone + Email
Fax: 413.559.6173