Currently enrolled Five College students, faculty, and staff may borrow circulating materials upon presentation of a valid ID. Participants in the Five College Learning in Retirement program have the same borrowing privileges as students. Alumni and local patrons may apply for a visitor card at the library's InfoBar.
- Stack books and bound periodicals circulate for 90 days and may be renewed up to three times for up to a year of continuous borrowing.
- CDs circulate for two weeks and can be renewed up to five times. Borrowers are allowed a maximum of six at a time.
- DVDs and VHS tapes circulate for five days and can be renewed once.
- Seeds must be checked out at the InfoBar but do not have to be returned to the library.
- Board and video games circulate for five days. Video game equipment circulates for four hours. Borrowers may check out up to two video games and up to four board games and may renew them up to two times.
- Flash drives, white noise machines, Apple laptop chargers, USB-C compatible laptop chargers, and iPhone chargers circulate at the InfoBar for four hours and can be renewed once.
- Reserve items are located at the InfoBar and circulate for four hours. Items not in high demand can be renewed once.
- Borrowers of media equipment are subject to the loan policies of Media Services.
The following items may not leave the library:
- Reference books
- Poetry pamphlets
- Unbound periodicals
- Div III work
- Open Reserve items are located to the right of the InfoBar and may only be used within the library.
Currently valid borrowers may renew any item provided that:
- It has not been recalled.
- It is not a reserve item in demand.
- It has not reached the renewal limit.
Patrons may renew items online as long as they are not overdue. Billed items cannot be renewed. Items from other Five College libraries are subject to the renewal policies of the lending library.
Holds and Recalls
- Stack items may be recalled for reserve or for another patron.
- Recalled items and/or items placed on hold may not be renewed.
- A recalled item must be returned by the date indicated on the recall notice, or it will be subject to a $2 per day recall fine, up to $30.
- Reserve items may not be recalled or placed on hold.
Overdue Notices and Bills
- Overdue notices are a courtesy; their receipt cannot be guaranteed, and they should not be considered a prerequisite to a fine or a bill. No overdue notices are sent for reserve items and overdue reserve items are subject to immediate billing.
- There are no daily overdue fines for stack books.
- Overdue recalled items are charged at the rate of $2 per day, up to $30.
- If an item is not returned or renewed within 35 days from the due date, a replacement bill is issued. Replacement bills generally consist of a $60 replacement fee and a $25 processing fee. When the item is returned the bill is canceled. The return of billed items after one academic year may not result in a bill adjustment.
- The library does not accept payments of fines; fines are posted directly to Student Accounts.
- Bills may be issued for the repair or replacement of damaged material.
Area residents may apply for a visitor card at the InfoBar during daytime weekday hours. We advise you to call ahead to ensure a staff member will be present; student workers do not have the ability to register patrons. This card entitles the visitor to borrowing privileges only for the physical collections at the Hampshire library, including books, bound journals, CDs, DVDs, and board and video games. Visitors may also use Hampshire's research databases from workstations in the library, but do not have access to them from off-campus.
Alumni may apply for a visitor card at the InfoBar, which will provide access to physical collections in the library, including books, bound journals, CDs, DVDs, and board and video games. Alumni with a HampNet ID may access specific online resources, including Project MUSE, Sage, and Springer databases and Compass Digital Collections. To activate or request a HampNet ID and email address, contact the IT Help Desk.